ation Developer Interactive Healthcare SaaS Platform The Jellyvision Lab Inc.
ruby on rails
Jellyvision is hiring an Application Developer II, Custom Solutions
Jellyvision’s headquarters is in Chicago, and, post-COVID, many of us will be returning to the Chicago offices (by choice, not requirement -- our philosophy is “Flexible First”). But this position is also eligible for work by a remote employee out of CA, FL, GA, KY, MI, MN, NY, NC, OH, OR, PA, MA, TX, UT, WA, or WI.
Who we are
We at Jellyvision are the proud parents of ALEX®, an interactive employee communications platform that makes tricky decisions—like choosing and using employee benefits—easier and more enjoyable. The success of ALEX has exceeded our wildest work-related dreams, which is why we need a talented Application Developer II to help us help our customers in new and exciting ways.
How you’ll help
Jellyvision supports many large customers (employers and partners) with our flagship platform, ALEX. These customers are the lifeblood of our company, representing billions of dollars in premium and benefits spending and millions of employees trying to navigate those benefits. These customers have many complex problems to solve and often look to Jellyvision to help them explain complex things simply and helpfully so that employees can make better decisions. However, sometimes these problems fall outside our SaaS offerings and don’t represent solutions we can or want to provide at scale. It’s important to us to continue to be helpful when our customers need us by creating custom solutions that are exciting, valuable, and cost effective (for both the customer and Jellyvision).
As an Application Developer II, you’ll spend your days designing and building performant, reliable, and maintainable features for our customers. You’ll solve impactful business problems and make sure they stay solved by writing tests.
What you’ll do
As the Application Developer II for our brand new Custom Solutions team, you will:
- Produce strong code (and test your code as a part of writing it)
- Give and receive constructive code review feedback
- Be a proponent of, and active participant in, an inclusive team environment
- Collaborate with Jellyvision's non-tech teams (ex. designers, writers, producers)
Experience & skills you’ll need
We're looking for an Application Developer II with 2+ years of relevant experience, solid software engineering fundamentals, and who is excited by unique and complex challenges. They should also have experience with the following:
- An understanding of how to build and maintain web applications with a backend framework like Ruby on Rails, as well as a frontend framework like React
- Committed to testing their code as a part of writing it
- The ability to build performant, reliable, and maintainable code
- A passion for code quality and strong problem solver
- An excellent giver and receiver of constructive code review feedback
- Horrified at the thought of working without Source Control
- Experienced with a relational database (ORMs are great, experience writing raw SQL is even better)
- Experienced developing software with Git (familiarity with git-flow would be another bonus)
- Docker and DevOps skills (not required, but definitely a plus)
- Communicates Effectively
- Demonstrates Self-Awareness
- Manages Complexity
- Nimble Learning
- Action Oriented
- Drives Results
Our credo is a simple one: be helpful. And we think we can be most helpful if our workforce is as diverse in thought, perspective, and culture as the people who use our products. We are looking to add amazing people to our team who will bring diversity across many lines, including race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity, sex, and country of origin.
Thanks for your interest in Jellyvision!