amazon web services
Back End Java Developer | open source for global healthcare | Spring, AWS
SNOMED International is hiring a back-end Java Developer, joining the all-remote team developing open source products that provide the universal language of healthcare globally.
We offer a worthwhile and rewarding challenge and a substantial learning opportunity, honing transferable Java skills applied at the forefront of knowledge representation, description logic, linked data and the semantic web - all of which you may learn with us.
We're building open source software and web applications that ultimately benefit quality of life for the millions of people whose healthcare service provision relies upon the accurate, standardised, medical vocabulary of SNOMED CT and its ecosystem of tools; https://github.com/IHTSDO. SNOMED CT is underpinning COVID-19 research within the UK's NHS, and for institutes and providers around the world.
We'll help you to understand our domain, products, roadmap and ecosystem - with ample mentoring, training and certifications along the way. You'll find us to be a welcoming, multicultural and highly supportive team, which understands remote working.
We take daily standups and you will be exposed to all aspects of our stack. Once up to speed, you can soon contribute fresh ideas and substantial new code around any of; distributed applications, ontology management tools, data visualisation, scalable microservices and web solutions that serve a global community.
Java is our main language to do this; we're language-agnostic, developing an evolving technology stack and you may join projects that build upon your strengths.
Upcoming projects in the team
- Advancing the software that implements the far reaches of mathematics and computer science to produce the terminology which is the most comprehensive machinable representation of healthcare knowledge
- Analytics, applying Elasticsearch to demonstrate healthcare outcomes
- Back-end solutions for new web and data tools to aid implementation with adjacent healthcare ecosystems, and for new software tools for community collaboration and open access to authoring
- Moving to continual releases across our integrated family of products
We're looking for
- Someone ready to build upon formative skills accrued in industry, now exploring new engineering challenges
- A self-starter, and who relishes structured autonomy
- Adaptability, openness to change, and pragmatism
- Adept with Java - accrued in a modern web application development context
- A grounding in - or ready to learn - developing any of: REST APIs, data-informed back-ends, microservices, or designing for deployment into AWS/cloud
- 1st or 2.1 Computer Science-related degree, or equivalent foundational knowledge
- Appreciation for open source, clean code, testing, good documentation and knowledge sharing
Our current ecosystem - we'll help you get up to speed
Java, Spring Boot | Agile, TDD | Ansible | Jenkins | AWS | Git | MySQL | Atlassian suite | AWS RDS Aurora | Elasticsearch | ontologies and description logic | AI and real world data
Salary and benefits
- £45,000 – £55,000 or equivalent (initially, due to funding structure, a two year contract)
- 25 days paid holiday + bank holidays | discretionary home office setup assistance | laptop | expenses
- Personal development plan, with budget | time out for conferences and workshops
- Technology certification | SNOMED courses and certifications