amazon web services
A brief overview of what you will be doing here:
You will be a key contributor to our API and data ingestion platform, ensuring that it keeps scaling smoothly as we rapidly add more users and features.
You will be given a lot of responsibility for evolving the infrastructure and picking the right tools for the job.
You will work closely with other engineers but also product and business teams to deliver a product that’s technically first-class and loved by our customers.
You should join us if you:
- Have experience working on a large-scale platform, handling large volumes of data throughput.
- Have strong experience with Node.js and good knowledge of JS fundamentals.
- Have experience working with relational and non-relational databases, as well as queuing systems.
- Are comfortable working closely with product owners and other engineers to define the best way to implement features with high technical standards.
- Are an innovative over-achiever, who keeps it human.
- Share our organisational vision of democratising travel and enabling innovation across an entire industry.
You shouldn’t join us if (we want to be as honest and transparent as we can):
- You’d prefer a stable role with clear and consistent role expectations, over a sometimes elastic and flexible role.
- You value stability in a product and company, over change and fast-growth.
- You think lofty goals are better left to renovation builders.
Growth at Impala
We pride ourselves on ensuring that we give every team member the tools and support they need to become world-class at their job.
We’ll help you map out how you’d like your career to progress, enabling you to work towards wherever you want to get to.
We then put our money where our mouth is - you’ll have access to a £1000 annual budget to spend on whatever helps you develop as a professional and as a person.
We also have a strong feedback and learning culture - meaning you’ll always know how you’re doing and what to work on.
What you will get in return?
- Loved One’s Budget - bring your loved ones to visit you, totally on us up to £750 per year, however near or far from home you are.
- Flexible working hours; with Core Hours from 10-3, meaning you can plan your workday around your own schedule. #flexappeal.
- Generous raise opportunities - pay reviews bi-annually, with 3.5x the average increase, using a fair, transparent and consistent formula.
- Totally Flexible benefits; meaning you can build your own adventure to create the most meaningful benefits package to you and your family and lifestyle.
- Free Food & Drinks - through our weekly Lunch-Buddies initiative.
- 1,000 Professional Development budget per year to invest in your own growth, with constant support from your manager.
- Social Events & Budget - a mixture of in-person (go-karting, mini-golf) and remote events.
- Personalised Workspace Budget - to rent out the perfect office equipment for you, in addition to the monthly WFH stipend.
- 36 Days Holiday per year - that’s in the top 14% in the UK.
- 1 Unsick Day per year - to keep on top of that healthcare admin.
- The flexibility to work anywhere in Europe, in the home office or co-working space that suits you and your preferred work environment.
- Weekly Recess Hour to step out from work and invest in some serious You Time!
- Weekly 10% Time for your own Professional Development and personal projects.
- Remote Experience Manager and the ability to get involved in our unique Pop Up Parties.
- You'll work for a company that's proactive about its social responsibility within the travel industry.
- You’ll work for a company truly passionate about D&I to the extent that we made a D&I Deck. You can help build a company that intends to support diversity and inclusion at the grassroots.
Where will you work?
We are a remote-first company. This was a very deliberate, natural choice, as we prioritise preserving work-life balance and accommodating the best people in Europe, while also fostering diversity.
Engineers will always be, and always have been, fully-remote employees at Impala. We employ anyone within +/- 2h from GMT, timezone wise.
We have loads of remote initiatives to ensure you’re fully setup !
- Quarterly Engineering Colocation Weeks - including Hackathons, socials, and team visioning.
- A monthly £150 office stipend - for furniture, or just to purchase things like coffee, snacks, wifi bills, cleaning, desk equipment, plants, plus anything in between.
- Alternatively, the option to expense the cost of a Co-Working Membership up to £350 per month.
- In addition, a generous Personalised Workspace Budget for bigger things like monitors, keyboards, desk chairs and headphones (up to £720 per year).
- We will give you a brand new high-spec laptop when you start, giving you the choice between a Thinkpad or Mac.
Remote does not mean distant.
We arrange frequent get-togethers, remote socials and our famous ‘Pop Up Parties’, and we do all we can to foster a community. We consider ourselves experts in the remote culture space.
We even have a dedicated Remote Experience Manager in the team, whose role is, among other things, to ensure your happiness, and help you integrate and be empowered whilst working remotely.
About the team
We’ve always optimised for quality over quantity when expanding our team, and we’d always rather run a team lean than simply fill seats for speed.
That means that we have Star teams full of Star players, across the board at Impala -- all of whom work to mutually elevate and support each other.
We’re a group of high-performing, fast-moving, innovation-bent and product-obsessed individuals, who don’t take ourselves too seriously.
We have people on board from a range of impressive backgrounds, from big industry players (like SkyScanner, Booking.com, Secret Escapes) to incredible startups (like Revolut, Truelayer, Paddle, Peak), plus lots more.