amazon web services
We inspire people to keep learning.
Through audio and text explainers called Blinks, original podcasts, and author-driven content, Blinkist is on a mission to help people turn ordinary moments into extraordinary learning opportunities—anytime, anywhere.
Main Location: Berlin or Remote
Remote Policy: Permanently from Germany, Spain, UK, or Finland. Temporarily from anywhere.
Team: Engineering & Data – Web
Hours: Flexible working hours
Reporting to: Hossein Toussi, Engineering Manager
Contact Person: Mertcan Uzun, Talent Acquisition
Note from the Hiring Manager
"This ad goes out to those who want to do meaningful work, take ownership, and never stop learning. As a Senior Backend Engineer at Blinkist, you join one of our core missions – focused on growth, creating initiatives that help users discover, access, evaluate and eventually subscribe to the Blinkist app. Our missions are small cross-functional teams where Engineers, Designers, QA, and a Product Owner collaborate with the help of an Agile Coach. And by the end of 2021, we want to massively increase monthly engaged learners on our apps. This is where you come in."
What You'll do
- In a cross-functional team, test and deliver growth initiatives for an engaging learning app on iOS, Android, and Web affecting millions of users and revenue.
- Take ownership of managing and extending our backend services. Use your technical expertise in building backend architecture and infrastructure at scale.
- Write high-quality, maintainable code, test it, collaboratively review it, and ship it.
- Identify and proactively address challenges on the backend, driving complex technical decisions within your peer group.
- Follow and iterate on engineering best practice to achieve a robust code base, e.g. through code reviews and unit tests.
- 5+ years engineering experience, and 3+ years with services on the backend with Ruby and database technologies
- In-depth experience in building robust, scalable platforms tackling performance and optimisation problems
- Proficient in English and able to effectively communicate complex technical information
Great to Haves
- Advanced understanding of different programming paradigms, clean code, high quality tests, security as well as performance related topics
- Demonstrated ability to own and carry out a big project end to end involving complex decisions based on business and technological impact
- Hands-on experience with AWS
- University degree in Computer Science or a related field
At Blinkist, we don’t just accept our differences — we celebrate and support our diversity. We are committed to fair and inclusive hiring practices and want to provide equal opportunity.
We created our own Blinkist Operating System that fosters a unique company culture. Our core values, empowerment, accountability, personal development, direct communication, and transparency guide our day-to-day work. You have the opportunity to accelerate your career and create a true impact within your field.
Work how you work best and never stop learning. You benefit from perks like the yearly learning budget, remote support, up-to-date hardware, public transport ticket, or access to partner apps. Our cook Ed prepares free and healthy lunch for us at the office. And, you can take time to recharge – with flexible work policies and 30 annual vacation days
At Blinkist, we embrace a hybrid way of work where you can choose to work remotely, from home, or the Blinkist office. We are happy to support your relocation and via application for Germany.
If we’ve captured your interest and you want to take part in building the leading destination for the modern lifelong learner, apply online now. We can't wait to hear from you!