Chalkboard Software Limited
Hi, I’m Rhodri, engineering manager here at Chalkboard. Thanks for considering our role!
- Job title: Backend Engineer (Junior/Mid/Senior)
- Salary: £30k-45k plus equity
- Location: Anywhere in UK or Europe*
WHO IS CHALKBOARD?
We level the playing field for small, independent businesses, giving them the tools they need to win new customers and keep them coming back.
Our technology is mobile first, and so we develop native mobile apps for iOS and Android. Learn more at our website.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
We’re looking for a software engineer to work on our backend API services. Our stack is Node.js, Typescript, PostgreSQL, GraphQL, React for web and backend. You’ll work alongside other engineers who will work on our Swift and Kotlin native mobile apps and rely on the GraphQL API.
A typical day could include:
- Writing and agreeing specifications with the mobile engineers
- Coding and deploying new features
- Monitoring and maintaining the application
- Responding to issues, troubleshooting and bug fixing
- Ensuring good test coverage across the codebase
- Helping to research and define new features with the product team
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- 2+ years of experience as a software engineer
- Knowledge of relational databases
- Great written communicator
- Able to work with others in the team to develop ideas and designs, approachable and easy going
- Can work quickly but maintain quality
- Able to put together collaborative documents to communicate the possible approaches and recommended implementation for new features
- Attention to detail, we create quality products
WHY JOIN US?
- Freedom with accountability - we trust our team. We’re flexible, independent, and know our teammates will always deliver.
- Be part of a genuine and rewarding mission - supporting local businesses around the world
- Flexible location. Choose to work from home, expense the cost of a co-working space, or work from our base at Beehive Lofts, Ancoats, Manchester.
- 25 days paid time off per year + your local holidays
- Choose your own laptop
- We are financially secure and well funded
THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS
- Full application
- Phone call (15 minutes)
- Skills assessment - a short own-time challenge that never takes more than 1-2 hours
- Full interview(s)
Note: This role is open to residents of the UK, the European Economic Area, or the EU’s single market (EU, Switzerland, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein).