About Empower Work
Empower Work is an early-stage, national nonprofit on a mission to create healthy, equitable workplaces where employees are valued, supported, and empowered. We believe that when people thrive at work, communities, companies, the economy, and our democracy, thrive. To reach that, we need to dramatically shift cultural norms and expectations within workplaces. And we need to radically transform how we support people at critical, opportunity-altering moments.
Our approach fuels positive change in three ways:
- Improved economic and emotional well-being for less-represented and less-resourced workers via immediate, confidential SMS support
- Improved workplace practices as volunteer peer counselors bring their 25+ hours of Empower Work training to their workplaces, creating a ripple effect
- Systemic workplace change as our data and storytelling informs new approaches, training, and policy
Joining the team as our Content Writer is a unique opportunity to be part of building the voice and vision for our outreach, as well as setting the stage for the growth of the organization to help us reach 3M vulnerable workers in the coming 5 years. Over 56% of those our mission supports identify as a person of color, 78% identify as women, and 40% identify as lower income.
You'll join a small, nimble, collaborative, creative, and independent team as well as a community of driven, accomplished professionals who are passionate about making workplaces across the U.S. safe environments, rich in opportunity for everyone.
About the Role
Empower Work's Content Writer will be responsible for planning, developing, and executing our content strategy that helps tell the story of Empower Work. Empower Work's Content Writer will be responsible for deeply understanding the needs of vulnerable workers that Empower Work supports and leading the strategy and creation of content to help reach those workers, as well as creating content to attract volunteers. This may include digital content on our website to improve SEO, placed content on other sites or platforms, and other outreach for workers and volunteers.
- Establish and oversee strategy to guide content creation that increases web traffic, number of people served month over month, number of volunteers, and awareness across our broader community
- Create content to best reach vulnerable workers and volunteers to support them
- Collaborate with stakeholders including team, volunteers, advisors, board, etc to understand org needs, voice, and audience to create impactful content
- Develop content creation processes, calendar, and editorial workflow
- Research and understand SEO to define target keyword, implement SEO best practices, and track results
- Measure the results of marketing activity to inform future decisions
- Design and implement creative marketing strategies to distribute marketing content, including overseeing email marketing and social media marketing
What We're Looking For
- 7+ years of experience with content creation, curation, and editorial planning
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Demonstrated success increasing SEO, web traffic, and conversions with key audiences
- Deep understanding, respect, and appreciation for the workers and communities we serve
You'll thrive as a Content Writer at Empower Work if...
- You are energized to create content supporting Empower Work's mission to build healthy, equitable workplaces
- You thrive creatively, empathetically exploring new ways to reach people
- You understand how to use data and analytics to inform content strategy
- You are an eager and brave learner comfortable trying new things in service of continuous learning, improvement, and innovation.
- You find joy in collaborating and helping others, and aren't shy about asking for help when needed.
- You enjoy variety and adapting within growing, distributed organizational environments.
- You're proactive and do the work, as well as offer your own perspective to do things better (we love ideas!).
- You are a self-aware and conscientious communicator.
- You understand and are curious about workplace culture, organizational politics, and industry challenges
- Location: Remote, with minimal travel 1-2 times a year to the Bay Area for team building. Empower Work's HQ is in San Francisco.
- Time: Full time.
- Compensation: Dependent on location and experience. This role pays $72,000-77,000 for candidates in the Bay Area. We adjust final salaries based on location and experience. More information on salary based on your permanent location will be discussed in the interview process. This position is exempt.
What's the application process and timeline?
- Applications Open: This application should take about 20 minutes including submitting your resume and a few questions.
- Phone Interviews (30 minutes): Through July 16th. There will be 20-30 minutes of pre-work prior to the call.
- Projects: July 16th-23rd. If moving to the project phase, you will receive a project scope which will take 1 hour to complete.
- Zoom Interviews (1 hour): July 16th-23rd. The Zoom interview will dig into the details of your experience professionally.
- Final Interviews: TBD, these might be with members of the team, members of the Board, or with volunteers so that you can learn more about the organization and we can dig into any final questions to ensure mutual alignment.
- Reference Calls: Final candidates will share 3 professional references and we will reach out to them for 15 minute phone calls.
- Final Offer Made in late July or early August
Is the full team remote? Will it stay that way?
When we started Empower Work, our staff were all located in the Bay Area. Since the beginning, our volunteers have been across the country - and the world. We are now a remote team with people in the Bay Area, Washington State, and Tennessee. This position can be based anywhere in the United States. We will gather 1-2 times a year, likely in the Bay Area.
Hiring, supporting, and empowering a diverse, inclusive, collaborative team is at the core of our mission. We strongly encourage people of color, first-generation Americans, first in their family to pursue higher education or join a new industry, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and women to apply.
Empower Work is an equal opportunity employer. This means all qualified applicants will receive consideration and will not be discriminated against people because of race, ethnicity, sex, age, religion, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, personal appearance, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, or political affiliation.
Ready to apply?
If you share our values and our enthusiasm for empowering people to thrive at work, we'd love to review your application! Instead of a cover letter, we ask you to submit your resume and answer three questions to share a bit more about you.