ata Engineering Manager - Spekit - High Growth Series A Startup Spekit
Company: Spekit (Founded in 2018)
Funding to date: $15M (Series A stage)
Position: Backend Engineering Manager for our new US based Backend team.
Comp: $175-$209K (dependent on experience level) + attractive early stage equity
Tech stack: Python, Django, Redis, RabbitMQ, Git, ElasticSearch, PostgreSQL, Linux etc
Location: Remote anywhere in the US
About the Role
We're looking for a talented Manager, Data Engineering to join our growing team! Our tremendous growth requires a backend expert who can quickly integrate, build and test code, and who can lead team members in architectural design, technical debt resolution, and the overall development process.
At Spekit, we have a hard-working, diverse, and supportive team. If you're a doer who thrives in a fast-paced environment and wants to be a foundational member of a growing high-tech company, we’d love to hear from you!
Technologies we embrace:
- Backend - Python (+ Django / Django-Rest), PostgreSQL, Redis, RabbitMQ, ElasticSearch, Linux
- Frontend - NodeJS, React, Typescript
What we're looking for in you:
- You have 5-8+ years of experience in data disciplines
- You have 3-5+ years in technical leadership
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree in CS/EE, or equivalent experience.
- You are knowledgeable about engineering fundamentals and architecture, including working with Git, CI/CD practices, restful APIs, distributed systems, SQL, cloud services (AWS preferably), algorithms & data structures, UML and other forms of systems design collaboration
- Passion for high data quality and scaling data science work
- Passion for Machine Learning and AI concepts
- Strong skills in SQL and distributed system optimization (e.g. Spark, Presto, Hadoop, Hive)
- Strong skills in data analysis (e.g. Python, R, Scala, Superset, and Tableau)
- Experience with ETL frameworks (e.g. dbt, Airflow)
- Experience in schema design and dimensional data modeling
- Ability to perform basic statistical analysis to inform business decisions
- Proven ability to succeed in both collaborative and independent work environments
- Familiarity with modern machine learning techniques and their mathematical underpinnings, such as classification, clustering, optimization.
- Design and automate large-scale, high-performance data processing systems
- Evangelize high-quality software engineering practices towards building data infrastructure and pipelines at scale.
- Lead data engineering projects to ensure pipelines are reliable, efficient, testable, & maintainable
- Design our data models for optimal storage and retrieval and to meet critical product and business requirements.
- Understand and influence logging to support our data flow, architecting logging best practices where needed
- Establish shared Data Engineering tooling & standards to improve the productivity and quality of output for Data Engineers across the company
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Demonstrated ability to create and drive technical and impactful roadmaps for the business, and lead seamless execution of it
- Passion for management and creating opportunities for career growth for team members
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively to cross-functional partners of varying technical levels.
Things we value, culture-wise
- Team Player. We believe that customer experience starts with your employee experience and as such, we believe in collaboration, transparency, integrity, trust, listening, doing what is right, and always going above and beyond for our team.
- Grit & Growth. We run towards challenges. If something seems unsolvable, it unleashes our persistence, our creativity, and our ability to move through uncertainty to create a solution.
- Positive & Purposeful: We’re a collaborative team of innovators and are always looking to think 3 steps ahead of our competition. We think at scale, imagine what’s possible and then work our way backwards with an MVP approach to everything we do.
- Simple yet Spektacular. We’re in the early stages of building something really great and that requires a lot of hands on deck and a focus on execution. In this journey, we uncover joy in simplicity, obsess over the experience, pivot quickly and always reach for excellence.
- Open-Minded. We are a diverse group of lifelong learners. We approach our work with curiosity and constantly look for ways to improve our products and ourselves, never settling for good enough.
- Work Smart and Be Present: As a startup, it can feel like you’re racing against the clock at all times – where “more” is the only path forward. We believe that you do your best at work when practicing mindfulness, getting the right amount of sleep and prioritizing the things that truly matter in life.
- Enjoy the Journey. Love what you do and who you do it with! We embrace joy and kindness and we bring our authentic selves to work each day. We seek to share our optimism and compassion with everyone around us.