MoveOn is a diverse and vibrant community of millions of people working together to create progressive change in America. We are an innovative campaigning organization that supports people throughout the country to take action through driving impactful campaigns that influence the behavior of people and institutions, shape the outcomes of elections and expand the realities of what’s possible. We organize to challenge entrenched power, while pursuing economic, racial, and social justice and a vision of a country in which everyone can thrive.
MoveOn has a vital role to play in securing progress during the Biden-Harris administration and in organizing the grassroots to set up election wins in 2021, 2022, and beyond. We are building a powerful, multiracial, and economic populist movement, and fighting for progress on health care, climate, racial justice and more. In service of that mission, in 2021 and beyond, MoveOn will drive impactful, movement-connected, multichannel, nimble campaigns aimed at impact.
- As a key member of the executive team, provide sound strategic advice and support to the Executive Director and the Chief of Staff and together drive the day-to-day management of the organization. As a member of the executive team, you’ll be part of the senior management team and help coach and provide strategic direction and guidance to all senior managers.
- Oversee the hiring and development of strong talent, our work to center equity across the organization, and our collective efforts to shape the organizational culture.
- Develop and manage internal organizational policies that support employees and ensure legal compliance in partnership with our employment counsel.
- Provide coaching and skills development among new and existing managers, as well as all staff.
- Design systems and processes to implement complex internal policies
- Oversee compensation structure and process and benefits offerings (benefits administration happens within a different team).
- Manage organizational risk, including but not limited to legal and reputation risks.
- Oversee performance management, including managing staff evaluations, coaching managers through handling performance challenges, and supporting the organization to have a strong culture of feedback.
- Manage the organization’s ongoing diversity, equity and inclusion work, including working with a team of DEI consultants and overseeing internal working groups, and deepening staff skills to ensure that we bring a strong equity lens to our internal and external work.
- Foster and steward a culture steeped in the organization’s values .
- 5+ years of HR experience (leading an organization of similar scope and complexity to MoveOn or supporting a significant part of an organization as HR lead)
- Experience in developing skills in new and existing managers; experience regularly coaching managers through challenges and opportunities
- 2+ years of experience in working at a nonprofit or a political organization
- Experience developing internal organizational policies with a strong legal and compliance lens in partnership with employment counsel
- A relational manager with high emotional intelligence and experience being emotionally supportive to staff during stressful or difficult periods
- Strong project management skills to develop and drive systems and processes in a complex organization
- Preferably has experience organizing DEI programming and managing internal working groups
- Acts with high integrity, professionalism, low ego, and camaraderie
- Strong equity lens, including:
- Strong awareness of issues of equity that impact an organization internally
- Demonstrated ability to manage equitably and develop equitable decision-making processes
- Strong listening skills and a track record of inclusive decision-making
- Demonstrated leadership skills, especially in relation to aligning multiple teams and/or stakeholders outside of their line management
- Deep commitment to MoveOn’s vision
Reports to: Chief of Staff
Location: Position may be based anywhere in the contiguous United States. May require occasional travel.