Market Mechanics, a set of backend engineering teams, is looking for an Engineering Manager to lead one of the teams. This team is responsible for building the core algorithms of our flagship Early Pay product and creating the platform foundations for the new products and experiences of C2FO. The team primarily works in Scala and occasionally other languages and frameworks, including TypeScript and React. This position has the option of working from our Kansas City metro area office or remotely within the United States.
What you’ll do
- Manage hiring for the team of 5 - 6 engineers.
- Conduct regular 1:1s with each member of your team.
- Provide guidance and feedback to enable engineers to grow, be productive and increase their impact.
- Collaborate with Product Managers to ensure priority based on product, engineering and business goals.
- Coordinate with QA to regularly deliver value to production in an organized fashion.
- Ensure the team has a plan to achieve the goals and tasks in front of them.
- Assist the engineers with design and breakdown of work.
- Set standards to safeguard a readable, maintainable, secure and scalable code base.
- Foster a respectful and supportive environment that maximizes the diversity of the team.
- If your time allows, you may contribute to the code base as long as you stay out of the critical path.
Most importantly, we want someone who:
- Is concerned with the success of your team.
- Is skilled at building team camaraderie & productivity.
- Is patient.
- Is a lifelong learner.
- Is a good listener and an excellent communicator, both written and verbal.
- Has 4+ years experience as a software developer.
- Is vigilant in identifying tech debt and in continuously improving how we do things.
- Is humble and authentic; placing others first and helping others perform as highly as possible.
Our Tools & Technologies
- Scala, Akka, Kafka, Postgres
- AWS, GCP, Azure
- Docker and Kubernetes
- Microservice architectures, Distributed concurrent systems, RESTful & GraphQL APIs