We are looking for a frontend developer to work with us on software that helps expand the availability of medicines in Nigeria, Kenya and beyond. At Field, we design and build software to solve very difficult health logistics problems in frontier markets. Our tech has to function in remote locations with poor connectivity and oftentimes be used by people with low tech literacy. You’ll be part of the design team, working with both design and a cross-functional dev/product team to build highly performant UIs for our web applications.
In this role, you’ll focus on developing components and frontend JS (React) code; writing well-structured, maintainable CSS; maintaining and extending our design system; and developing performant UIs. You will be a core member of the design team and contribute to its processes and output, but will work closely with other developers across the stack in both Berlin and Nigeria, supporting each other and collaborating through code reviews.
What you’ll do every day
- Create flexible, reusable components and write documentation for the app’s design system.
- Implement updates to our brand websites (built on JAMstack principles).
- Help groom and work through refactoring tasks in our design backlog, in order to continuously improve the app’s UX and usability.
- Participate in brainstorming sessions around UX workflows and design patterns.
- Participate in code reviews, and technical problem solving / knowledge sharing sessions.
- Participate in the myriad design decisions that come with turning static mockups into a living UI.
- Advocate for the design system and help developers across the stack to use front-end components.
Some travel to our offices (and out to the field) in Nigeria or Kenya may be helpful in this role. We are generally pretty flexible with travel arrangements.
- Experience working in development teams on large scalable applications.
- Good communication and documentation skills, including experience working in cross-cultural settings.
- A deep curiosity about browser performance and front end design patterns.
- You care deeply about usability.
- You enjoy working in teams with other talented developers and designers, learning from others, and contributing to your team’s development and processes.
- You feel comfortable working in lean environments with agile methods.
- You are fluent in English.
Bonus points for:
- Some UX experience (e.g. workflow diagrams, wireframing)
- Data analysis / visualization skills
We are a remote team but prefer to work with people we can meet up with in Abuja or Berlin