Custody X Change
FT Mid-level Writer: Remote (North or South America)
We’re hiring one or two more professional writers to join us in a full-time, long-term role.
Currently, our writing team is researching the child custody process in each U.S. state and in other English-speaking countries. We call and email attorneys and other custody experts, then write what we learn into 10 or so articles per location (like this article on Texas custody schedules). In a separate project, we’re expanding on related topics, such as divorce and child support.
In this mid-level role, you will be asked to write for both projects, as well as edit, pitch ideas, consider SEO value and upload content using simple HTML (which we can teach you). You might occasionally get tapped to write for our sister company, Remote Tech Jobs, about the world of remote work.
Professional research experience isn’t required. However, you must be an excellent writer who can match our site’s concise, simple style. Your articles must be well organized and easy to understand; they are geared toward parents navigating custody, not law professionals.
You must have native English proficiency, though you can live anywhere in North or South America.
The starting salary is USD $15-$17 per hour (as a 1099 contractor). If you’re not a U.S. citizen, you’ll be paid the equivalent in your local currency.
We’d like to hire you if:
- You have at least three years of professional writing experience.
- You would like to research topics by calling and emailing law professionals.
- You can stay on task without supervision and work independently.
- You want to work from home in a long-term, full-time position.
- You have native English writing and speaking skills.
- You live in North or South America.
- We get along. (To see the team you’ll be joining, visit our about us page.)
Our company is Custody X Change. We sell an app that creates child custody schedules and parenting plans. It helps families make difficult decisions following separation and facilitates communication between parents who may not get along anymore. This reduces conflict and saves people a ton of money in legal fees. We keep the focus on what’s helpful to current and future customers, which is why our writers are now expanding the state-specific content on our site.
If you want to join a small, distributed team and help people discover a genuinely helpful product, we should talk.
To apply, email me at [email protected], and:
- Include your resume in PDF format.
- Attach three to four writing samples.
- Somehow use the word “tangerine” in the subject of your email.
- Answer the following six prompts in the email body, in this order:
- Describe your professional writing experience. (50–100 words)
- Why are you looking for a remote job? Please mention where you’re based. (25–50 words)
- Why will you do well working independently with limited supervision? (50–100 words)
- How do you feel about doing phone interviews with strangers? (25–50 words)
- What do you think about the starting salary? (25–50 words)
- What is your ultimate career goal? (50–100 words)
P.S. We want everyone working here to be happy. For the most part, you can set your own hours. You’ll be evaluated on results, nothing else.