Advanced Energy Economy
Full-Stack Python Software Developer
Advanced Energy Economy (AEE) includes local and national advanced energy companies working to make our energy system more secure, clean, and affordable. Advanced energy encompasses a broad range of products and services that constitute the best available technologies for meeting energy needs today and tomorrow. Among these are energy efficiency, demand response, solar, wind, hydro, electric vehicles, biofuels, and smart grid technologies. Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic and resulting economic impact, the industry employed more than 3.6 million workers in the U.S. and was among the fastest growing sectors of the economy.
AEE's mission is transforming public policy to enable rapid growth of advanced energy businesses. We educate, engage, and advocate at the federal level, in wholesale electricity markets, and more than a dozen states for executive actions, legislation, and regulations that expand the size and value of markets for advanced energy products and services. We also offer business intelligence products and select business development opportunities to help advanced energy companies grow. Our PowerSuite SaaS platform includes hundreds of customers such as Amazon, Microsoft, Pinegate Renewables, Oracle and Arcadia and is rapidly expanding to new market segments.
AEE seeks a Full-Stack Software Developer to join our small but growing development team. The Software Developer will work on a variety of web projects, from maintaining the current suite of web crawlers to designing and building enterprise grade back-end solutions. The Software Developer will be responsible for maintaining and growing: a mature codebase, a one-of-a-kind document data store, a state-of-the-art data pipeline, and an Elasticsearch full text search service and integrations with both Microsoft Azure and AWS' machine learning services.
AEE is seeking an independent professional who brings a background in B2B SaaS platforms. The Software Developer will work collaboratively as part of a team under the direction of the SVP of Finance and Operations. Candidates should be creative and flexible, with the ability to work on multiple projects as needed to support AEE's work in a variety of areas. The successful candidate will contribute to all areas of our platform from real-time logging services to front-end user experiences. The position may require limited travel.
- Contribute to an enterprise grade data processing system that handles hundreds of millions of records a month
- Maintain our current fleet of Scrapy crawlers
- In addition to our development team, you will work with other internal and external customers in a fast-paced deadline-oriented environment that has a huge impact on clean energy issues
- Work on multiple projects with limited supervision
- Use best practices and standards to write well-tested, maintainable code
- Desire to learn and grow in a highly collaborative environment, including code reviews, pairing sessions and a commitment to great UI/UX
- Have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent industry experience
- Have a minimum 4 years experience in a production environment (preferably Python)
- Have a minimum of 2 years experience with Scrapy
- Have experience with multiple storage systems including Postgresql, Redis and MongoDB
- Have experience with the ELK stack
- Have experience building complex workflows with AWS services such as S3, SNS, SQS, Lambda and EC2
- Experience deploying applications to Heroku and/or AWS
- Experience working on a small team with desire to produce excellent work product
- Have experience with writing tests for your code
- Clear, direct communication style
- Have experience/desire to work successfully on a geographically distributed team
- Passion for AEE's mission of moving the world to a secure, clean, affordable energy future
- Experience with other languages such as Ruby and Go a plus
- Interest and some experience building supervised and unsupervised machine learning (ML) models with applications in areas such as document classification and sentiment analysis a plus
Job type: Full-time
Location: U.S. Remote, but East Coast preferred
Salary: Starting at $100,000
Applications should include a current resume and cover letter expressing interest in this position, organization, and description of relevant experience.
Advanced Energy Economy is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, sex, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. We are committed to the values of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice across our organization ("DEIJ"). We also incorporate these values into our mission of making the energy we use secure, clean, and affordable. We know that varied perspectives and a commitment to social justice are needed to succeed in making the United States an advanced energy economy. We commit to building and supporting an inclusive workforce that represents different cultures, backgrounds, and viewpoints.