Hello! We are Opinew, a Scottish company with a small team and grand mission. We are helping online stores to become independent of large platforms like Amazon and eBay by providing a powerful review import and management system. Opinew helps shop owners to collect reviews from their customers while also allowing them to import existing reviews accumulated over years on Amazon, eBay or AliExpress. Reviews enable social proof, which increases sales conversation to make Opinew’s clients more successful. We are working with thousands of online stores around the world, including small stores and big brands, some of which you may recognise, including: MusclePharm, Status Anxiety, Vankyo and Betron.
As Lead Full Stack Engineer, you will play a pivotal part in Opinew’s mission to decentralise online shopping by empowering merchants of all sizes. You are excited to work on a SaaS platform with the latest technologies used by millions of shoppers and thousands of ecommerce stores around the world. Our engineers regularly work with all areas within Opinew as we continue to scale up our SaaS web products. We push updates to our websites almost every day so it won't take long to get your work out in front of millions of users.
At Opinew we are using Flask/Python for the backend and Vue.js with Vuetify and Tailwind CSS on the frontend. Everything is containerised with docker and deployed via an automated CI/CD pipeline to AWS.
In line with the tremendous global increase in ecommerce sales, Opinew has rapidly grown its customer base and product team in 2020. As Lead Full Stack Engineer you will be at the heart of our product development and software engineering efforts working on:
- Implementing world-class software to improve and scale Opinew’s review management system
- Experience with designing RESTful API that supports a rapid growing user base
- Ability to own and deliver end to end API functionality from design/architect, to implementation, to testing, to production release and monitoring
- Ability to accomplish complex engineering task independently
- Envision, implement and roll-out best tooling and automation for all our our services
- Ability to evaluate and communicate different engineering solutions and trade-offs
- Work with the Opinew team to constantly improve platform usability, onboarding, and customer retention
The engineering team consists of two full-time and two part-time engineers. Depending on their area of expertise, some engineers have a strong focus on backend, frontend or testing. However, generally each engineer works across the full stack and contributes to any part of the codebase. Engineers own their code, ensure maintainability and are responsible for writing unit tests and completing new features without breaking backwards compatibility.
What we offer
- Opportunity to help decentralise online shopping away from the ecommerce giants
- Exciting opportunity to grow the start-up with us into a global software company
- Competitive salary
- Laptop and any other essential technical equipment
- Education and relaxation: language classes / steam store games
- Reading/Courses - books and online courses to help with your professional development are on us to help with your personal development.
- Home cleaning - we will find somebody to take over house chores to help you focus on what matters most to you
What you can expect
- An agile, diverse and multidisciplinary fully remote team
- A supportive, inclusive and transparent working environment where team mates learn from and help each other all the time.
- A place to look at things differently, challenge and offer solutions.
- You will be working in a (still) small start-up where the whole company consists of ~10 people. You will have a unique opportunity to make a significant impact and actively drive change in the technology, direction and culture of the start up.
What we are looking for
We are looking for an experienced, talented software engineer to join the engineering team and help us scale Opinew to the next level.
This position is for full time, 100% remote work.
We would expect you to:
- Always put the user first.
- Be an active participant during technical decisions and discussions.
- Be comfortable to work in a rapidly changing environment.
- Be passionate and empathetic - you fall in love with problems, not solutions. You’re a doer, and a helper.
- Take pride in your work.
- Think like an owner.
- Experiment, test, try, fail and learn continuously.
For this role, you must have:
- Experience in working as part of a team to ship high-quality software using agile development processes.
- Experience in developing UI with Vue.js /React/Angular
- Experience in python backend frameworks like Flask/Django
- Experience in e-commerce and Shopify beneficial.