ruby on rails
Epimorphics is hiring someone to become the technical lead for our web applications team. This is a hands-on position, combining full-stack engineering, client interaction, and project leadership, building interactive web applications and data visualisation solutions.
We're working at the forefront of open data publication in the UK, often delivering projects in the public eye and which have a positive benefit for society. Our clients’ linked-data and semantic web datasets contain intricate relationships within large volumes of data. Users of those datasets include domain experts and the general public.
This is an opportunity to join us at a time of positive change and growth, as we introduce new leadership colleagues to help shape our future. Our clients range from government departments to NGOs to private companies. You will help us prepare technical bids for - and then lead the design, implementation and advancement of - numerous small and large projects that deliver accurate data that's relatable and reliable.
We mainly design, build, and manage stand-alone applications, and data tools. We work as multi-skilled agile teams, comprising domain experts, project management, UX, back end, and operations. Your team works on everything above the data API and you'll be writing lots of software too, this is at least half of your role.
Find us on GitHub: https://github.com/epimorphics. You may read about linked-data at: https://www.epimorphics.com/what-is-linked-data/.
Some examples of recent projects
- An app for exploring live and archived hydrological data https://environment.data.gov.uk/hydrology/
- A proof-of-concept implementation of a data-sharing app for a soil carbon charity
- A lookup tool following the migration of food additive approvals into UK law https://data.food.gov.uk/regulated-products/
We're looking for
- Someone to grow into taking a lead on: guiding the development effort, architectural decisions, mentoring, pairing, code reviews, estimation, delivery, and ticket management
- An attentive approach to building warm customer relationships, managing customer expectations, anticipating and resolving issues, supporting technical bid preparation, and building domain knowledge
- Strong technical ability, with substantial experience of building and deploying modern web-based applications
- A good understanding of data models and structures, one example might be graph databases
- A good understanding of web applications architecture, including microservices, security and performance
- Familiarity with the principles of usability and accessibility, noticing awkward or difficult interactions and motivated by improving them
Our current ecosystem and tools - we'll help you get up to speed
Salary and benefits
- c.£60,000 - £80,000 negotiable (we're keeping an open mind)
- Discretionary relocation assistance
- We support flexible working. Talk with us about what you need. We've been working from home for some time, getting together at the office or elsewhere when required
- EMI share scheme. All our shareholders are employees, and we offer all employees the opportunity to become shareholders
- Annual profit sharing for all employees, depending on company performance
- Pension scheme
- We invest in our employees’ development. You’re encouraged to attend conferences, take training classes and contribute to open source
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays | flexible hours | computer and OS of your choice | staff kitchen with coffee, teas and snacks | indoor bike storage | free parking
- Portishead is a pleasant coastal town in easy reach of Bristol, with affordable living options and a wide range of shops, coffee shops and restaurants in walking distance from our office