At Pento we're building a better, faster, and more modern way for companies to run and automate payroll. We're looking for a Head of Engineering to build and lead our engineering team, and help us continue to build an amazing product that our customers love and trust.
We've just raised our series A of $15.6M to bring the future of payroll to even more companies, and we're now looking for new team members to join our growing team.
The short version
Where: Remote , +3/-3 CET hours
What: Strategy, team building and leadership, recruitment, cross-team collaboration, performance and quality
Why: Payroll hasn't changed in many, many years, and we are experiencing first-hand how much companies are demanding something better. We've built the first ever fully automated payroll platform, have strong traction in the UK, and are only just getting started.
Who: Reporting to Emil Hagbarth (co-founder, CTO) and working closely with Daniel Sequeira (Engineering Manager), our new Head of Product, and an exceptional team of engineers, designers, and PMs.
The job description
As the Head of Engineering at Pento, your responsibilities will include:
Leadership and vision
- Working with the engineering managers and leads, product, and design to build new, exceptional product features and improvements for our customers, while maintaining the quality and experience of our existing product
- Working collaboratively with other teams to ensure alignment on problem domains, and how to build the best possible experience for our customers
- Being an active advocate for Pento, our platform, and our technology, and a strong role model for the rest of the team
Goal setting and process building
- Developing and implementing processes and systems, providing a means for effective performance management and reporting
- Identifying the highest value drivers to increase productivity, and strive to find the right balance between high polish and fast iteration
- Building and leading a high performing engineering team
- Empowering the engineering team to achieve a high level of technical productivity and quality
- Fostering a strong feedback culture, where all team members are encouraged to challenge and be challenged on their opinions and beliefs in order to always optimise for the best possible outcome
What we're looking for
We're looking for someone who's an inspiring leader, visionary, and strategically smart. You'll get to work with the best team in the world, and we always aim to let Pento's product and service be the talk of the town. We're here to build the world's first payroll automation platform, and we know we need the right team, culture, and strategy in order to succeed. That's where you come in!
- Proven experience in a similar position
- You have experience leading an engineering team in a rapidly growing business - setting up and developing best practices to align with the company's growth
- Experience leading the function in a distributed setup would be a plus
- Experience working in highly regulated tech, eg. fintech, would be a plus as well
- You are a confident and effective communicator, able to tailor format and content based on your audience
- You have a proven ability to challenge, influence, and do things differently with positive business benefits
- You know how to deal with ambiguity and are able to navigate through it with perseverance, and with a positive attitude
- You're a results-driven coach who supports, develops, and inspires others to excel
- You're pragmatic and results-oriented - able to take ownership and execute on tasks as well as able to delegate projects
What is Pento?
We're a technology company, not an accountancy, payroll bureau, or similar. We build beautiful payroll software that automates all manual workflows and we usually help companies cut 50-80% off the time they spend on payroll. That means no spreadsheets, no manual bank transfers, no e-mails, and no manual work. We've built an easy-to-use software product, that does all of this automatically. Our customers usually run payroll internally, but rely on us to give them world-class payroll support in case they have any questions - that's where you come in!
You can see a quick video by our co-founder and CEO, Jonas, here:
What can you expect?
- Competitive salary, depending on experience;
- An employee equity option plan so you can benefit from our success;
- The opportunity to join an early stage tech company, and join us on an incredible journey of growth
- Unlimited holiday entitlement;
- Remote working and flexibility - as long as the work gets done!
You can learn more about what we are all about here:
We're a remote-first company and a diverse group of people. We believe in inclusiveness and are committed to building a team as diverse as the people we create our product for, representing a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We welcome applications for everyone – regardless of gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.
We don't believe hiring is a tick boxing exercise, so if you feel you don't match the job description 100%, but would still be a great fit for the role, please get in touch!
The Pento Team