atabase Engineer ProQuest
amazon web services
Lead Database Engineer (Ann Arbor or Remote)
As part of our Data and Analytics team at ProQuest, you will be responsible for the design and implementation of the usage analytics data warehouse. You will help shape projects, interact with stakeholders to address critical project related issues and quality.
What will I be doing?
As part of our Data and Analytics team at ProQuest, you will be responsible for the design and implementation of the usage analytics data warehouse. You will help shape projects, interact with stakeholders to address critical project related issues and quality. With your experience developing and supporting enterprise data warehouses/ analytics data-driven environments, you will work with business analysts and stakeholders to understand requirements, and design and develop data processing logic, lead a team of database developers, control code quality, migration and deployment, assess security in code, and conduct root cause analysis. You’ll find ways to automate mundane tasks and focus on building the future. You will help define and document best practice processes and standards for designing, developing, configuring, supporting database applications as well as mentoring other developers. You will stay current with the latest database advances and evaluate the benefits of applying them in our environment.
You will participate in story refinement, perform research, provide technical leadership, resolve issues and assist in prioritizing technical strategies to achieve the long-term objectives of the team.
In this position, you will also…
- Hands on design and development in databases such as Oracle, PostgreSQL, AWS databases such as Redshift, Aurora DB, Athena and related services
- Lead a team of database developers for designing, developing and maintaining data warehouse models and database code
- Apply industry standard best practices and techniques for designing and developing data processing pipelines on prem and in the AWS Cloud.
- Review existing designs and code and provide decisions for improvements and refactoring.
- Assist in planning and performing database upgrades and migrations.
- Automate every aspect of datastore software and schema change management that can be automated.
- Meet service level objectives (RPO, RTO, Performance) for services in your care.
- Plan and execute system upgrades with little to no downtime.
- Collaborate with other teams to help them build reliable and scalable services.
- Research and deploys best-in-class database technology as ProQuest’s needs change.
- Define and implement governance processes to ensure quality in DB design, development, security, migration and deployment.
- Assist in implementing long-term strategic goals for database development in conjunction with end users, managers, clients, and other stakeholders.
- Assist in implement HA solutions and defining DB backup/recovery strategies.
- Develop processes and identifies additional value-added opportunities related to specific projects.
- Write application and system technical documentation.
- Provide technical mentoring to other team members.
Qualified Candidates must have…
- Bachelors’ degree or higher in related field, such as Computer Engineering or Computer Science, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proven experience in data warehousing technologies and SQL/ NoSQL databases such as Oracle, PostgreSQL, SQL Server, and AWS services such as Redshift and Aurora.
- 7-10 years of database development experience, including procedures, packages and functions
- At least 5 years of experience in designing and developing unix/ Linux based (shell) scripts
- Strong operational experience in Linux/Unix/Windows environment.
- Strong data modeling and data structure design skills.
- Strong automation skills (tool agnostic) and the ability to drive initiatives to automate processes.
- Good ability to work with architecture and design tools.
- Managed a team of database developers in large scale data warehousing projects
- Forward thinking infrastructure automation and scripting skills.
- Manages clients’ expectations and communicate proactively.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Display excellent collaborative skills across cross-functional teams.
- Work with team members located in multiple geographies and time zones.
- Work with minimal supervision seeking direction as required.
- Ability to work in an agile environment.
Qualifications listed below, while not necessarily a requirement for this position in each circumstance, provide additional depth and value to the role.
- Database Certifications
At ProQuest, we embrace the power of our people and value our differences — in thought, style, sexual orientation, gender identity, culture, ethnicity, and experience — recognizing that our diversity makes us a stronger company. Encouraging a diverse, inclusive workplace gives us the business advantage of understanding and meeting the needs of our diverse customers, clients, and communities.
More to love about becoming a PQ employee!
- Forbes Ranks ProQuest among 2018 America’s Best Mid-Size Employers
- We offer professional development opportunities with a significant focus on learning
- We hold fun on-site events
- Our employee population is smart and highly collaborative
- We have a relaxed dress code… yes, that means blue jeans (and not just on Fridays!)
- All of our employees have access to ProQuest research products including e-books, genealogy and academic journals
Other important information about this position:
- This position is based in a ProQuest office location and may be appropriate for partial remote work, subject to approval.
- May be required to travel less than 5% annually.
- This position requires weekday (Monday - Friday) attendance with some scheduling flexibility available around core working hours.
- Every position requires certain physical capabilities. ProQuest seeks to make reasonable accommodations that enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties when possible.
We work hard and have fun doing it. If you are an experienced Lead Database Engineer, please consider joining our talented team!!
The preceding job description is not intended to describe in detail the multitude of tasks that may be assigned, but rather to provide a general overview of the expectations and responsibilities of this position. As the nature of business demands change, so may the functions of this position. Additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned.