avoMD is a software platform for next-gen clinical guidelines and pathways. By transforming complex medical guidelines into interactive apps that clinicians love, our technology ensures the practice of evidence-based medicine and enhances patient care. Some of our current partners include PM Pediatrics, the nation’s largest pediatric urgent care, and Samsung Medical Center, Korea’s 2nd largest hospital. We were recently accepted into 500 Startups and Startup Health, received a large investment from Columbia’s endowment, and won 1st place in Columbia and Penn Medicine’s annual startup competitions.
avoMD is a no-code platform for creating bot-based modules that help providers (physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses) make better decisions. Each module is functionally similar to buttons bots with conversational interfaces. The platform consists of two components: (1) the avoBuilder, a no-code authoring tool for these bot modules that allows clinician authors to collaboratively “drag and drop” their way to building and updating bots without coding. The avoBuilder is based on ReactJS/Django/PostgreSQL. (2) The PoC/Client App, a mobile and desktop app (available on iOS, Android, and desktop) for clinician end users who can open and access the bot modules created in the avoBuilder. This tool is based on React Native/Firebase.
avoMD is seeking an experienced software engineer who can step in and lead our fast growing, dynamic engineering team (which includes offshore developers), deliver timely solutions to the market, and collaborate with the product team and company founders. Ultimately, the Lead Engineer will be responsible for ensuring that the product vision is realized through excellence in execution. The Lead Engineer will have the ability to bridge technology with business acumen, bring experience in developing customer-facing applications, and develop and sustain a culture of passion, hard-work, and innovation that makes avoMD the place to be for anyone interested in developing healthcare’s next best mobile platform.
The position can be remote and we are willing to offer competitive salary and equity compensation. We are looking for candidates who can start working immediately on a full-time basis.
The Lead Engineer has responsibility for the overall engineering, testing, and architecture of the avoMD platform. Additionally, this individual will get their hands dirty and is expected to directly work on the code base when needed.
- People. Directly manages and supervises our rapidly growing offshore development team (we’re now at 6 developers in Pakistan).
- Projects + Engineering. Oversees the development, implementation and execution of multiple projects ensuring scope and schedule are established for projects; determines prioritization and staff deployment; acts based on changed priorities; can optimize scaling processes and architecture
- Technical. Technical lead who is willing to design, develop, and implement software components across the entire software stack
We anticipate the Lead Engineer will spend 30% of their time on people and team management and 70% of their time on technical work, including architecture/best practices management and hands-on development.
Skills & Qualifications
- 5+ years of software engineering experience and background in managing small to medium-sized engineering teams (5+ people)
- Strong working proficiency in React Native and React JS
- Deep understanding of back-end technologies (we use Firebase and Django)
- Working knowledge of change management, disaster recovery, business continuity, and (internal) customer usage/access
- Ability to think and plan strategically around scaling processes and architecture
- Comfortable with managing many work streams, and coordinating resources and prioritizing work across teams
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Bonus: Prior experience (i) at an early stage company (if you’ve been a TLM) and (ii) developing user-facing products