Who are Benefex?
Benefex are leading the way for Employee Wellbeing. They believe no one comes to work to do a bad job or be actively disengaged, and that technology is instrumental in providing an excellent employee experience. They’ve built an all-in-one platform called OneHub that brings together employee benefits software, reward and recognition tech, and workplace communications, so your employees have everything they need for work in one place.
Benefex believe that everyone deserves an exceptional experience at work, every day. Their workplace technology makes this happen.
Lead Backend Engineer – Role Overview:
As a Lead Backend Engineer, day to day you’ll be working closely with the other Engineers in the Squad ensuring the product is evolving to meet the overall roadmap and strategy, as well as defining the Backend development best practices and building upon the existing methodology and tools.
This will require you to be hands-on for approximately 40% of the time with the other 60% spent on leading and line managing other Backend Engineers working in the squad and across the chapter. Driving best practice; you’ll coach and mentor, provide regular 1-2-1s, OKR’s and career development opportunities as well as working closely with the VP Product Engineering to recruit more talent as we grow.
Working closely with the CTO and VP Product Engineering, you will have a significant influence and support to lead a great Backend chapter, responsible for creating the award-winning OneHub platform.
REST API’s, Java 8, Golang, Spring Boot, Tomcat, MongoDB Atlas, Docker, Kubernetes, GCP.
What you’ll be responsible for:
- Be the technical lead and line manage the Backend chapter to ensure they develop using best practice and deliver within the sprints in collaboration with the VP Product Engineering.
- Hold regular 1-2-1 sessions to mentor and coach your chapter to advance their skills and learning and grow their capabilities.
- Collaborate with the CTO, Principal Engineer and other Lead Engineers to architect the best solutions and strategy for the OneHub products.
- Hands-on collaboration with the squad Engineers to analyse, design and deliver new Product features.
- Evolve the current coding standards and increase the documentation across the Backend chapter.
- Ensure work is delivered to a high standard and manage technical debt as part of the Backend strategy.
- Using backend technologies including Kubernetes, Java, Golang, MongoDB
- Architecting and building REST APIs on a distributed cloud solution.
- Lead the adoption and acceleration of Golang across the squads and backend chapter.
What experience / skills would we like to see:
- Passion for engineering excellence with the ability to manage and lead your chapter and evolve the skills and best practices.
- Ability to mentor members of the squad and chapter and educate them about best practice and guide them to finding solutions to technical challenges.
- Experience working on cloud architecture and software built on REST API’s with the ability to design and implement high quality code and deliver on time.
- Build positive and professional working relationships with your colleagues to enable a positive and collaborative team working environment.
- Experience working within a fast paced agile environment with the focus of reducing WIP and getting stories to “Done”.
- Feeling comfortable to work under pressure and your own initiative, having good time management for the 60/40 split of responsibilities.
- Solid experience creating Golang and Java based services in a service-based architecture
- Strong understanding of event-driven architecture (EDA) and programming principles
- Strong experience and understanding of production services in cloud environments
- Experience in GraphQL paradigm and modelling.
- Experience with NoSQL databases such as MongoDB Atlas.
- Experience designing and building RESTful based APIs.
- Experience with Cloud Platforms (GCP, AWS), Kubernetes and/or Docker.
Bonus points for:
- Familiarity with CircleCI or similar CI/CD tools
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
- Open source collaboration
- Understanding how to build and optimise world-class APIs for both external and internal customers.
Salary and Package:
- Flexible working. Choose whether you’d like to work fully remote or be a hybrid worker spending some time in our Southampton office.
- Tech setup of your choice (MacBook Pro or equivalent, monitors, etc.)
- £800 annual learning budget, plus two hours per week as ‘Focus Fridays’.
- 25 days holiday (plus your birthday off!)
- Access to our own award-winning online benefits scheme.
- Pension, Income Protection, Life Assurance, Healthcare Cash Plan, EAP