amazon web services
Lead Python Engineer - allplants - B Corp FoodTech - £100k - Remote
allplants is one of a handful of venture capital backed B Corps in the world, dedicated to help solve the climate crisis at scale, using business as a force for good. Already the leading plant-based living platform in Europe our team of 150 have served millions of meals to homes UK-wide. Our plans for 2021 and beyond are as exciting as they are delicious – growing our kitchen and product range to serve our expanding community of allplants people!
Python, Flask, REST, Heroku, Postgres, Redis, Gunicorn, AWS, Stripe, Sendgrid, RabbitMQ, Celery, Cloudflare, Papertrail, Sentry, Retool, Swagger, NewRelic, Docker
Role Overview – Team Lead (Backend-Python)
Why is the role needed?
As we continue to create value to our users, the needs of the business and product are increasing and diversifying. So we need to increase our engineering capacity which we’ll be doing by splitting into two teams. You’ll be the Team Lead for the Platform Team, reporting into our Director of Technology, Adam.
You’ll be responsible for managing the Platform Team (5-6 reports) and being our Backend subject matter expert across the two teams. 70% of our time will be spent hands off – coaching and mentoring, helping your team reach their full potential, working with the business and product on the backend architecture. 30% hands on building backend services and improving the infrastructure of the platform.
As we are rebuilding/replacing a number of a core systems a key focus of this role will be defining our architectural approach and upskilling the backend team on system architecture, as well as taking the lead on building the more complex backend services.
What are some of the things we’d like to see?
- Mentoring our Platform team (~5 developers) and backend engineers
- Working with product and the business to take a longer (6-12 month) view on our architecture
- Helping replatform away from Shopify, building upon our Python/Flask platform
- Writing high quality, simple and clean code (~30% of the time)
- Placing emphasis on outcome rather than output (think OKRs)
- Evangelising testing and TDD (but being pragmatic about it
- Here are your buzzwords- not exhaustive, nor prescriptive- just some things we like!
- Python, Flask, REST, Heroku, Postgres, Redis, Gunicorn, AWS, Stripe, Sendgrid, RabbitMQ, Celery, Cloudflare, Papertrail, Sentry, Retool, Swagger, NewRelic, Docker
Bonus points for:
- Any prior experience working with products that have physical business operations (warehouse, ERP).
- Progress down either the IC or Management route:
- IC: Senior Engineer > Lead Engineer > Principal Engineer
- Management: Lead Engineer > Engineering Manager > VP Engineering
Why be excited about this role?
- Listed in Escape The City and Rocket List's top companies to work for
- Build something that has a tangible product that you can see scale.
- Be part of a growing B Corp startup and help shape the future of food.
- Help to create a greener world, more resilient to climate change.
Salary and Benefits
- Up to £100,000.
- 32 days holiday a year (including Bank Holidays – can be taken anywhen).
- 10 weeks of full pay for maternity/paternity leave.
- Top of the line equipment, posted to your WFH address.
- Employer contributions to your pension plan.
- Remote first, be based anywhere in the UK. We try to get the team together once a month in London for planning sessions but happy to work around your needs.
- We all have a meaningful bit of allplants that we own. Everyone has share options aligned to their role banding.
- Quarterly socials (we love a good party!) and weekly staff-led activities (football club, netball league and PT sessions in the park)
- A free monthly tasting delivery of allplants for everyone to taste what's cooking!