About Varsity Tutors:
We are revolutionizing the way the world learns. Our mission is simple: to help people learn! Varsity Tutors is a fast-growing education technology company that is improving how people learn. Our award-winning online and mobile learning platforms connect students and professionals from all around the world with personalized instruction to achieve any goal.
In early 2020 Varsity Tutors launched hundreds of free online group courses to help students (and parents) deal with the chaos of school closures. Conceived, coded, and staffed in under a month this has grown to include small paid courses, Star Courses featuring celebrity experts, and recently - just before the back-to-school season - we launched a Self Study program featuring a dynamic AI-assisted learning assessment with focused recommendations to help students cover the gaps in their knowledge.
We succeed with a diverse mix of talented people who are passionate about helping people learn through new and innovative technology. If you love learning, technology, and making a true impact, you’re going to love working here!
About the Job:
We are looking for a Lead Software Engineer that knows how to lead an engineering team and wants to head down the path towards management. This is a great opportunity to work with an amazing team and drive the technology and product future of our Online Courses offering. We operate in a highly collaborative environment with Product and Design to build experiences that matter to our customers. At Varsity Tutors, engineers do not just write code, they actively participate in the conversation on what and how to build the systems and solutions that matter to our customers. If you love your customers as much as we do, we'd love to hear from you.
- Lead a team of remote engineers
- Write performant, maintainable code that is easy to read and well-documented
- Write automated tests to thoroughly validate the correctness of your code
- Deploy large-scale web applications
- Have a focus on quality, and operate iteratively to get from good to better
- Be a part of your team’s on-call rotation; we all own our code end-to-end from development to deployment to operations
- Come ready to learn from some of the best and brightest in the industry
- Work independently and collaboratively in a dynamic and fast-moving team
- Be effective in a team environment working with fellow engineers, product management, and design
- Experience with React or similar UI frameworks (e.g. Vue, AngularJS)
- Experience with Ruby on Rails or similar web frameworks (e.g. Django)
- Experience with deployment systems (e.g. CodeShip, AWS CodeDeploy)
- Familiarity with AWS Services (e.g. RDS, Kinesis, EC2, Lamba, et cetera)
- Familiarity with the Linux Operating System and command-line tools
- Understanding of OO design, algorithms, and data structures
- Familiarity with implementing e-commerce solutions is beneficial
- Aptitude to quickly learn new languages and technologies as necessary
- Computer Science or related degree
- Remote friendly
- Work-life balance
- Training for skill and career growth
- Healthcare Plans (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life)
- 401k Company Plan
- Flexible PTO, Paid Holidays, Floating Holiday
- VTO ("Volunteer Time Off" to do community service/charity work)
- [email protected] benefits and access to all of our online classes
- 52 hours of FREE Tutoring Sessions per year for you or immediate family members
- Collaborative, and team-oriented work environment
- Try a free trial of our Live Learning Platform here: https://www.varsitytutors.com/freetrial
Varsity Tutors is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.