Headquarters: San Francisco, CA
About the role
- Spend your days building a better world through the strategic implementation of technology to help people register and turn out to vote.
- Stay highly organized and use the resources you have to get things done quickly and thoughtfully.
- Develop new products, but you won’t always be building from scratch – you’ll decide when it makes sense to adopt an off-the-shelf solution.
- Be an integral part of the VoteAmerica team, and be responsive to and in service of the work being done throughout the organization.
- Be in charge of a robust (and growing) codebase that dozens of high-profile organizations rely on. We’ve built some really cool things, and we open source as much as possible.
- Collaborating with the CEO and other, non-technical colleagues to plan and develop technology solutions that are used by tens of millions of potential voters each year.
- Owning the entire tech stack, from writing code to setting up infrastructure
- Developing new products, implementing features, fixing bugs, and taking care of technical chores as needed
- Setting up and maintaining our tech infrastructure (AWS, ECS, Spinnaker, Lambda, Aurora Postgres)
- Managing complex technical projects from start to finish, working both independently and with other staff
- Deciding when to build or buy – and being able to justify your decisions with data
- Evaluating and choosing technology vendors based on the organization’s needs and resources
- Analyzing your work and reporting on it to the CEO and other internal stakeholders
- Working as the only full-time engineer for most of 2021 – that means you’ll be writing a lot of code yourself – but you’ll also be involved in recruiting, hiring, and managing other software engineers in 2022 and beyond
- 5+ years of recent experience as an individual contributor in software development for the web
- 2+ years of experience working on an existing codebase that you personally did not develop from scratch
- 2+ years of experience working together with other software engineers on a shared codebase
- Experience with long-term planning and development; you have been on at least one project that took at least 6 months from kickoff to launch
- Experience in CI and TDD – but you do not let perfect testing be the enemy of good testing
- An understanding of the importance of documentation for your fellow developers, current and future
- The ability to pass a background check; you will have access to sensitive, personal information about millions of people
- A willingness to put in long hours during critical and predictable election periods. With democracy on the line, things get busy in the lead-up to Election Day.
Bonus points for the following
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field
- Prior experience working on a political campaign or at a mission-driven organization
- Prior experience managing AWS services
- Experience coding in Python, React, and Django, specifically on a product that is live in production
- Experience with analytics, data warehouse platforms, and ETL processes
- Experience as an engineering lead or manager
- Experience recruiting and hiring other software developers
- Enthusiasm for 508 compliant designs; our tools need to be accessible to everyone
- Interest and enthusiasm for design and product excellence
Some of the benefits of working at VoteAmerica
- Family friendly policies: We have flexible work hours, so if you need to take 3-5pm off every day for after school snacks and homework time, that’s fine. We’ll also cover child care and pet care expenses that you incur if we require you to travel.
- Delightful colleagues: We are a smart, fun, and dedicated group of people that want to make an impact.
- Short commute: We all work from home and it is just the best.
- Excellent medical coverage: Full health, dental, and vision for employees and generous employer subsidies for your dependents.
- Generous time off: 4 weeks of accrued vacation time per year, 12 company holidays, and we shut down the office for at least a week each year so we can all recoup together.
- Retirement plans: We offer a regular 401k and a Roth 401k because we want you to retire one day, preferably after decades of working at VoteAmerica.
How to apply
- Submit your resume and the answers to a couple of short questions that demonstrate your interest and skills. We don't require a cover letter, because you don't want to write one and we don’t want to read it.
Applications are processed on a rolling basis, and we will accept them until the role is filled. We are, however, looking to fill this role ASAP, so you should apply as soon as you can.