Ready to put your passion for open source and your talent for connecting people to the test? Come help us build our open source community centered around VoIP technology!
We are looking for a colleague well-versed in networking, community building, and project management to come join our team and help us build our newest endeavor, an open source community. At Devhouse Spindle, we recognize the value and importance of open source software. Whether it’s using existing projects in our VoIP platform VoIPGRID, or open sourcing parts of our Vialer Webphone, we incorporate open source software whenever we can. These efforts led us to notice that the VoIP open source scene is very fragmented. There are various projects and companies working to further open source VoIP technology, but nothing bringing them together. With that in mind, we set out to build the Open VoIP Alliance, a community of projects and companies working together to progress the development of VoIP technology.
As our new colleague, you would work to build the structure of the community, as well as build the momentum for it. One of your first duties will be to see what we have already built and come up with creative ways to further our ideas. You would also be our spokesperson and networker, so having experience with that as well as knowledge of the best ways to get others involved is a must. You will also take part in planning and organizing hackathons, meetups, workshops and the like to keep our community active. As an individual, you are organized and enthusiastic. You don’t mind being the person that gets things running and pulls the rest of the team along, but you do value communicating and collaborating with the team and the community. For this role, English is the main communication language, so you must be comfortable communicating in English regularly. Other languages are welcome, but not required.
Your professional profile
- Have a great command of English, our working language
- Have experience with community building
- Have experience working in open source communities
- Have experience with project management
- Have your own opinions on running a community
Bonus points if you:
- Have experience with VoIP technology
Devhouse Spindle is a growing and ever-changing organization on a mission to connect the world using open and free communication. With almost 60 colleagues, we develop the tools that make this possible such as VoIPGRID, our award winning telefony platform. Alongside that we develop an app (both Android and iOS versions), Webphone, and a browser plugin which allow you to use the VoIP platform wherever you are.
Next to the tools we develop, we also connect people through the foundation, 48percent.org and the open source community, the Open VoIP Alliance. Spindle is located in Groningen, a beautiful city known for its innovation and the second fastest growing tech city in the Netherlands.
Working at Spindle
If you look around the office, you’ll notice we do things a bit different around here:
- We organize ourselves using a system called Holacracy. We believe every colleague is able to contribute to the organization rather than relying on a traditional hierarchy. Having no managers comes with extra responsibility to take ownership of your work and set priorities that help to further the organization.
- We work with a “build, measure, learn” mentality and open mindset. We recognize that not everything you do is going to work right away. We praise experimentation and reward trying something new, even if the lesson is to not try it again.
- We have an open and transparent salary system. Every colleague is placed in the pathway and a level best fitting their education, experience, and visible behavior. We encourage growth and have clear guidelines and expectations for doing so.
- We are a diverse and inclusive team of international coworkers. We value the differences that each person brings to the table and think that it's those differences that strengthen our organization.
- We strongly believe in open source. We show this by open sourcing our code when possible, using other open source projects for our VoIP platform, contributing to projects, and we have even started the Open VoIP Alliance to encourage collaboration when it comes to VoIP open source software.
What we offer
- A relaxed and welcoming culture with celebrations, events, and trips
- A competitive salary and good pension benefits
- An annual study budget and study days for personal and professional growth
- Two weeks leave when welcoming a new member to the family
- Other benefits that contribute to your health, well-being, and work/life balance
Want to know more about this job, the employee benefits, or Spindle? Don’t hesitate to contact Dick on +31508009078 or [email protected]
Please note that we are currently not hiring for remote work. You need to have an EU Working Permit (Orientation Year Visa not included) in order to be applicable for this position.