HR Pals & Recruiting Pals
The Payroll Manager will own payroll for a group of our clients across multiple industries. The successful candidate will have deep payroll experience, along with supporting HR experience in a variety of industries (experience working at a payroll company or PEO is extremely helpful), strong change management experience, and top-notch communication skills (both written and verbal). In addition, he or she must be incredibly customer-focused and ready for the challenge of keeping many clients satisfied!
This is a remote, work from home position.
Although there is inherent schedule flexibility built into the role, it is expected that the Manager be on call and available to clients as needed. Although this typically involves working during typical business hours, on rare occasions the Manager may be asked to support client needs early in the morning, evenings, or on weekends. It is imperative that clients feel supported and that they can contact the Manager anytime and get a very quick response (ideally immediately, but no greater than 2 hours). Customer focus and responsiveness is a must in this position.
Essential Job Functions
(As a Consultant to our Clients):
- Working closely with assigned Client Supervisor (typically the CEO, President, CFO or Controller), and Client group members to serve as a hands-on payroll expert for the client, and formulate partnerships across the business to deliver value added HR services.
- Provide excellent customer service to the Company's clients via email and phone. The ideal candidate will have experience in the payroll service industry, including state and Federal taxation issues, taxation of various benefits, ACA reporting, payroll preparation and processing, quarterly and annual payroll tax returns.
- Oversee all aspects of payroll processing for full-time employees as well as seasonal staff through third party software, including bi-weekly or semi-monthly payroll, manual checks, employee changes (benefits, withholdings, etc.), and terminations
- Keep payroll records updated and perform analytical reviews of payroll information. Ensure accuracy for each payroll cycle, as well as at the end of each quarter and year end
- Review all Quarterly and Annual Tax filings, including W-2 forms, addressing any exceptions and errors prior to finalization
- Manage client benefits, 401k accounts, and other programs
- Stay current on payroll regulations impacting the Company and coordinate with appropriate internal and external parties to ensure compliance
- Provide hands-on support for all payroll reconciliations in support of month-end close activities
- Maintain employee confidence by keeping all information confidential
- Build and maintain healthy relationships with all team members.
- Other duties as assigned
Education, Experience, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor's Degree in HR, Finance, Business Administration or related field with 8+ years of successful payroll and HR experience in multiple industries. Payroll company or PEO experience preferred
- Demonstrated track record of establishing relationships and earning credibility and respect with client groups.
- Strong consultation skills and proven track record in a client facing, matrixed role, including the ability to influence leaders to align people processes and practices with business objective.
- Solid understanding of payroll best practices
- Customer focused mindset
- Excellent communication skills (written & oral)
- Strong knowledge of federal, state, and California wage and labor laws, as well as knowledge of requirements in other states
- Creative problem-solving skills coupled with good judgment
- Ability to prioritize responsibilities and meet all payroll related deadlines
- Experience administering a 401k plan
- Experience with a variety of payroll, benefit, and ERP providers
- Experience with seasonal workforce a plus
- Very high attention to detail; organized and thorough with a desire for continuous improvement
- CPP designation preferred