Syncro / RepairShopr
ruby on rails
Syncro is a people-first company with both the internal team and clients. Externally, software is built with an extreme level of interactivity with the user community. Internally, team development is prioritized through cross training, career growth, internal promotions, and prioritization of team members growth over all else.
We are a small team crafting software applications to help small businesses be successful. Our software provides a platform for IT Professionals and Managed Service Providers to do job tracking and ticketing, SLA Management, invoicing, and integrations with tons of online tools. We are a different kind of startup — we know that making the lives of our customers easier and more fun is the way to build great long-term relationships while having fun creating and inventing along the way. We value people, creativity, trust, and diversity which inspires success and happiness in the lives of our employees and customers.
The Opportunity: The Principal Software Engineer designs, develops, troubleshoots and debugs software applications. This includes developing new components and features, shared libraries, and APIs. This role has some leadership-like characteristics, with duties including: leading projects, mentoring other team members, proposing architectural solutions, and exploring new technologies, frameworks and standards for possible team adoption. You will be reporting directly to the VP of Engineering and working remotely.
The more of the following questions you can answer with Yes, higher is the likelihood about you being a great fit with our team:
- Are you a player-coach who can lead and get your hands dirty?
- Do you really (we mean really) care to help others grow?
- Are you hungry enough to continue to grow?
- Do you enjoy working on a product that makes other people more efficient and happy?
- Are you ambitious and yet compassionate?
- React, React Native
- Ruby on Rails, .Net, Phoenix/Elixr
- PostgreSQL Database
- Heroku, Kubernates
- AWS, GCP
- We move ship daily and use Scrum. Our team of engineers with have a global, remote presence in diverse locations - US, Canada, Eastern Europe and Asia
What You'll Be Doing:
- Evaluate long term direction and recommend solutions to scale with our rapid growth
- Collaborate with team members on key architecture decisions
- Develop high-quality, working code features and bug fixes
- Regularly collaborate with other developers, product managers, and designers to complete projects
- Participate in regular code reviews, often in a mentorship role with other engineers
- Create and refine best practices, coding standards, and documentation, and takes the opportunity to share knowledge across the team
- Make recommendations to refine and improve our engineering practices
- Help us grow the team by being a core part of hiring process
Who You Are:
- You understand that working in a highly collaborative environment is critical to producing high quality software. You can see the big picture and dive to the details, willing to learn new tricks from your peers and colleagues. You are open to feedback and willing to give it too.
- Have high level of success and proficiency working with Ruby on Rails in a scaled production environment
- Extensive experience creating high quality software in a team environment
- Extensive experience designing complex systems and building products using microservice architecture
- Comfortable working in an Agile software development environment
- Strong sense of ownership and ability to work cross functionally
- Passion for troubleshooting and problem solving
- Detail-oriented, professional and positive work attitude
- Ability to communicate professionally both verbally and in writing
- Experience leading many projects from start to finish
- Experience with test-driven development (TDD) and/or writing and maintaining high level test coverage, including both unit and integration tests
- You are located in the US in one of the following states: AZ, CA, CO, FL, GA, KY, IL, OH, OR, TX, SC, WA
Technical and Skills Qualifications:
- At least 5 years of experience designing, building, and operating scalable applications using Ruby on Rails, Database
- 8 years of overall software development experience in modern stack
- Work experience in a SaaS and Scrum environment
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering
- Strong analytical skills.
- Good communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
What you can expect from us:
- Career path to expand your skills
- We want this to be your dream job and to help you make that so
- We are focused on personal and professional growth and we’ll keep you challenged, learning, passionate, and growing
- Close-knit team — every person counts
- Flexibility: We’re results-oriented, dispersed global team and want to help you create a position that suits your life
- Health benefits and 401(k)
How to get noticed?
Respond to this post with a cover letter about a real mistake you made and you learned from it.
For example; Troy, our Founder shipped a typo in a class name a bit ago and those are annoying because they might be easily missed in the Development environment but then production blows up. This led to a more robust CI+Staging step than we had prior.
Syncro is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where all employees can thrive and do their best work, free from discrimination and harassment.