We Are Common
Python/Django Developers Needed for Octopus Energy Australia & New Zealand
*Open to applicants in New Zealand & Australia-wide only*
Who we're looking for
We're looking for experienced developers with Python/Django experience. The person that will thrive in this role is someone who is happy to learn quickly, pays attention to the nitty gritty details, and can handle a fast paced environment. As a developer you have great empathy for the users of your products and care to craft maintainable code. We have 3 Senior Developer Roles plus multiple Mid Level Developer positions available. We have been very busy last year building a team of 15+ people and we need a few more colleagues to strengthen the team!
In this role, you’ll be liaising with clients if the need arises. You’ll be working closely with the Tech Lead and a small team to start with so great communication skills are a must. If you’re an over communicator, even better.
*If this kind of work gets you excited, we'd love to hear from you! We're open to all backgrounds and encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply. We believe that great people can always find a place. People do their best work when they can be themselves. We never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.*
What you'll do day to day
- Working on API’s to allow customers to access account / payment / usage / etc information
- Working on the migration process, which involves shifting customers from the existing system to Octopus platform using REST API’s
- Developing processes to handle industry transactions. These are complex business processes which we will need to be able to process at scale, such as processing meter readings or updating the market when a customer changes provider
- Adapting the platform for the Australian market, made more complex by the fact Octopus has a single codebase for multiple territories.
- Finding and implementing ways to improve the experience and efficiency of the operational staff who use our platform on a daily basis
Developers at Octopus are responsible for their tasks from end-to-end, which means the starting point for a task is more likely to be a problem than a solution.
Skills & Experience Required:
- Web frameworks
- Unit testing
- Working in a collaborative team environment
Bonus points if you have experience with:
- Non-trivial Postgres
- AWS and/or the Hashistack
- Service-driven architectures and message brokers
- Energy retailers and/or energy sector
- Flexible working environment
- Equity Scheme (own part of the business)
- Learning and development budget
- Entrepreneurial working environment
About Octopus Energy
Octopus Energy is a green energy retailer based in the UK that is customer-focused whilst helping to drag the energy industry into the 21st century. We entered the energy market to disrupt the status quo with energy that's good for the planet, good for your wallet, and for you your soul. We make it easy for consumers and businesses to switch their energy to our 100% green electricity without the added cost. Octopus Energy is backed by Octopus Investments, the UK's largest investor in solar power, responsible for nearly 40% of the UK's large scale solar generation.
Now, we've expanded into the Australian Energy market to help disrupt it too. We've partnered with Origin Energy for our expansion in Australia as they themselves will license the Kraken platform to help make their business more efficient, improve their customer experience and support their renewables expansion.
Come join our team and help us leverage technology to help fight climate change through expanding renewable energy sources.
How to Apply
We Are Common by Common Code are assisting Octopus Energy with building their tech team.
Email your CV & cover letter on why you'd like to fill the role to Val at [email protected] Any unsolicited CVs submitted to Octopus Energy will be forwarded straight to Val.
If you are overseas, due to travel restrictions we won't be considering those that are not already in Australia/New Zealand due to the current health crisis related to COVID-19 and the escalating visa/travel restrictions in place. We're currently unable to extend offers to anyone who isn’t already based in Australia until further notice. Consequently, we will be prioritising candidates who can start in this location. We're keeping the situation under review and would adjust our position should the restrictive measures be removed later on.