Headquarters: Minneapolis, MN
Modern Tribe’s QA team works on a lot of cool projects: over the past year alone, we’ve tested sites built by our dev team for big-name clients including Boise State University, Bon Appetit Magazine, Eventbrite Academy Blog, Harvard Law School and Conroe Independent School District. (Want to see how we did? The links above highlight some of our work). And that’s not even including our family of WordPress plugins led by The Events Calendar.
We’ve got a slew of cool projects we are working on in 2020, and need another member for our QA team. If working on high-profile sites for large clients gets you excited and a serious case of attention to detail is your jam, we should talk.
Modern Tribe is committed to a culture that embraces diversity and inclusion. We foster an environment of collaboration, open engagement, fairness and respect regardless of differences in age, race, disability, national origin, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation or veteran status. As a hybrid workspace ranging from distributed contractors to traditional employees, we value the unique perspectives and experiences of our global team.
We come from all walks of life. We are small business owners. We are tattoo aficionados and 80’s movie buffs and ex-pats. We are homeschool teachers. We are single parents. We are musicians, college drop-outs, and entrepreneurs. We are travelers, feminists, runners, volunteers, and makers. We are a Modern Tribe.
Everyday we strive to fulfill our motto: live well and do good work. We hope you will consider joining us.
QA is responsible for ensuring all aspects of quality at Modern Tribe. It’s a tall order for sure: learning how a site works, creating test plans covering obscure use cases, and then putting it all into practice when testing every aspect of site functionality…it’s a lot of ground to cover. But we’ve got an established workflow down that helps make sure we’re setting the team up with the tools they need to proceed and succeed.
Though every project is different, here’s the gist of our QA flow:
- KICKOFF MEETING. Just a kickoff — meet the PM; get your questions answered; set expectations; and schedule milestones.
- PREPARING DOCS. Getting started with internal documentation early is hugely important to getting the project into your brain.
- REVIEW APPROVED COMPS. Before you start QA or even get a walkthrough, you’ll review the comps to understand the project + prepare a list of questions to ask on the QA walkthrough.
- QA WALKTHROUGH. Once development is far enough along for QA to begin, you’ll do a walkthrough with the lead developer to get an overview of the functionality.
- PREPARE QA CHECKLIST + TEST PLAN. After seeing each component of the site in action, you’ll put together a first draft at a comprehensive QA checklist and a higher-level overview of what you’re planning to test, in what order, and when.
- HEAVY DUTY TESTING. You’ll put the site through its paces and give it a few rounds of full pass bug hunting. Beyond just hitting buttons, you’ll be thinking from a higher level: are there usability concerns? Does what we’re doing here actually make sense as the best way to solve the problem? etc.
- CELEBRATING A SUCCESSFUL LAUNCH. What feels better than kicking back after a successful launch? If QA has done their job, the project will launch smoothly, the team will have a finished product to show off, and — most importantly — the client will be happy. It doesn’t get much better than that.
* Our QA team also generally leads client training and prepares training documentation/videos when appropriate, so be prepared for some direct client communication.
- Strong communication and/or experience working as part of a remote team
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, strong organizational skills, with a methodical approach to all tasks
- Ability to prioritize workloads and meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently with minimal oversight
- Fluent English speaker
Required Knowledge & Experience
- Has a proven track record in Quality Assurance.
- Pays meticulous attention to detail + advocates for the customer. Being able to catch bugs is huge, but it isn’t everything — QA is most effective when it puts itself in the customer or end user’s shoes.
- Knows WordPress well, you’ll be expected to prove your familiarity with the platform.
- Excellent verbal, non-verbal and written communication skills
- Has 1+ year remote freelancing experience.
Additional Experience (Bonus Points)
- Familiarity setting up local WordPress environments + cloning GIT repositories locally
- Skills at training others how to admin complex WordPress sites/projects
- Experience writing and implementing automated testing processes
Work from anywhere in the US or Canada; if you are in Central or South America, let’s talk. This will be a 100% remote position. If your working hours are in a timezone outside of the US range, but you work 4+ hours of overlap each day our team might be able to consider your application.
Our hourly rate for this gig starts at $25-$35/hr, depending on experience.. This is a freelance contract role and is about 10 -15 hours per week.
We believe in learning from each other and fostering personal growth. You can expect to learn a lot while working with us and we have a benefits package for full time employees.
(Also, if you work enough with us, we’ll bring you on the team trip.)
Who We Are
Modern Tribe, Inc. is a rapidly growing software & design company. We develop custom solutions for some of the world’s largest companies, government institutions and smaller growing organizations. We pride ourselves on our ability to bridge people and technology and to bring the passion and dedication of an entrepreneur to every project. Our team is composed of talented employees and freelancers around North & South America (and a smattering across the globe).
Who You Are
We love working with each other because we have built a culture that suits us well. We work primarily with freelancers and coordinate their talents for large projects. To be on our team, you must be:
- HAPPY - Where there is a will, there is a way. Having a positive disposition allows us to achieve great things and to support each other.
- HELPFUL - Always looking for ways that you can help others.
- CURIOUS - It is essential that you have a passion for learning. Technology changes daily, and life has a way of constantly raising the bar.
- ACCOUNTABLE - Our clients expect us to get the right thing done on budget and on time. Communicating expectations and meeting them is the cornerstone of success.