Yum! Brands, Inc.
Who we are:
Our story might surprise you. We’re the world’s largest restaurant company—encompassing KFC, Pizza Hut, and Taco Bell—but there’s a lot more going on behind the scenes than just frying chicken, baking pizzas, and serving up tacos. We put this delicious food in the hands of customers through apps, websites, kiosks, POS, and other digital dining experiences – and we are only getting started. Here in Chicago, we’re building out a bold team of hackers to help Yum! Brands deliver the next generation of software to 49,000 restaurants in more than 145 countries. That’s a huge responsibility, which is why we’re on a mission to find the most fearless engineers to join our software startup within Yum!.
Yum!'s vision for the future is simple: a world with more Yum!: with our iconic brands in more places, and more ways for consumers to access them. The key and not-so-secret ingredient in our recipe for growth is our unrivaled talent and culture, which fuels our results. And like all companies who win consistently, our brands, employees, and franchisees will need to continually adjust to stay relevant now and in the future. The software we’re building does just that: it serves people in new ways to make team members more productive and customers happier.
About the role:
This role will be a greenfield engineering project, where you will build from the ground up a set of features to integrate the POS and Cloud Services. Some features will be menu updating, order transmission, and device management. This is a new system with no implementation as of yet. There is a lot of freedom in how it’s built.
- Build a Kotlin based web platform from scratch
- Collaborate with several teams and manage the competing priorities
- Be a Subject Matter Expert in the above store needs of the Yum! Brands
- BS In Computer Engineering/Science or equivalent experience
- 3 years building scalable web backends
- Experience with Kotlin, Java, Go or equivalent OO language
- Experience with message queues, websockets and other intersystem communications
- Ability to work collaboratively and with little guidance
- Experience using SQL and/or NoSQL databases, bonus points for Couchbase
- Experience with Docker, or other containerization technologies
- Experience designing and developing scalable microservices
- Published backend apps, libraries or open source contributions
- Designed and developed upon known frameworks for REST and GraphQL web services
A few of our perks:
- 4 weeks of vacation PLUS holidays
- 5 sick days
- 2 paid volunteer days
- 401k matching
- Medical, dental, vision
- Life insurance
- Half day Fridays
- Generous parental leave
- A world-famous recognition culture