Clarity Movement Co.
Clarity, a Series A clean-tech startup, is looking for an experienced backend software engineer to join our software team in our mission of bringing clear air to the world. He or she will drive the technical evolution of our IoT sensor data pipeline and support our customer-facing web applications and data analysis tools. Clarity is a globally distributed organization with headquarters in Oakland, CA.
At Clarity, we strive to empower the world to reduce air pollution. We do that by making it accessible for cities and industries to measure and understand their air pollution issues and take effective action.
Today, when cities and industrial facilities want to measure air quality at a site they have to purchase expensive monitoring equipment and invest even more to install it in container-sized shelters and integrate its measurements into their IT system. This is unacceptable because it leads to the inability to monitor air pollution at important sites and ultimately to the inability to manage air pollution.
We envision a world where novel sensing technology, IoT and cloud computing simplify air quality measurement, enabling cities and industrial facilities to scale up the number of monitoring sites and take data-driven action. Our Sensing-as-a-Service solution for air quality is currently deployed in over 70 cities across 30+ countries and is changing how municipalities and industrial facilities monitor their air quality.
After successfully raising our Series A (a few words from our investors here and here), we are excited to keep building on our current success elevating our product to the next level, at the forefront of the clean air movement. This is especially true of our software products, where we see a significant opportunity to increase the value we provide to our customers as well as to expand the number of use cases supported by our Sensing-as-a-Service solution.
We are a diverse group of engineers, scientists, and makers from all around the world who are passionate about what we do and devoted to our mission to improve the world by solving some of its greatest challenges. We believe in solving challenging problems by adopting a growth mindset, by fostering an environment that encourages deep collaboration, empathy, and creativity, and by keeping a good sense of humor. We enjoy philosophical debates as much as nerding out about the soldering talents of our HW engineers or the cool data visualizations we create. Although we always have our mission in mind, we know the path for any startup has ups and downs and we’re more than happy to face them together as a team. How else could you tackle a problem as complex and global as air pollution?
We are seeking a highly self-motivated and passionate backend developer with a proven track record in delivering top-quality code and architectural solutions to bring our Clarity Cloud to the next level. Your key responsibilities will be:
- Leading development and maintenance of key system features, including APIs, workers, and databases. -Interfacing with product management to brainstorm technical solutions to business requirements and evaluate technical feasibility of innovative product features.
- Working with other team members to investigate architecture best practices, design approaches and prototype new technology.
- Collaborating in an Agile environment to deliver high quality software against well established schedules.
Our product is multidisciplinary, ranging from ubiquitous IoT hardware to scalable data pipelines, advanced data quality assurance algorithms and insightful data analyses. You will enjoy freedom of action around these topics and be encouraged to take initiative for making our software offerings truly revolutionary in the clean-tech space. You will have plenty of opportunity to work closely with our customers and end-users who hail from industry, government, NGOs, community groups, and academia. You will be working closely with our CTO to help guide Clarity to success. We believe Clarity could be the right place for you to join the fight to solve environmental issues around the world by leveraging your software superpowers!
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or similar technical field.
- 3+ years of non-internship professional software development experience.
- 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design of new and current systems at scale.
- 2+ years experience building successful production software systems.
- Solid understanding and high proficiency in Python, Node.js, MongoDB, REST, GraphQL, and OOD patterns.
- Experience with AWS Cloud, especially EC2, Lambda, API Gateway, ECS, S3, SNS, SQS, SES, Cognito and DynamoDB.
- Experience with full-stack development frameworks, such as Amplify, Django, etc.
- Experience with DevOps on software systems at large scale.
- Experience applying Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures and algorithms design, problem solving, and complexity analysis.
- Experience defining system architectures and exploring technical feasibility tradeoffs.
- Experience working in an Agile environment.
- Experience in mentoring team members and defining and championing best practices across a software team.
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy.
We will offer different options in terms of salary + equity mix.
How to apply:
Apply by completing this form. In the cover letter, please focus on the hands-on projects you have contributed to previously, which you consider relevant to this position. Please give examples that showcase the required skills identified in this job description.