Senior Backend Engineer - Java / Golang - Benefex - Fully remote - £75k
Why should you be excited about working for Benefex?
- Leading the backend for their latest product (v1 stage)
- Opportunity to learn Go!
- Forward thinking product culture where you can have an immediate and visible impact on the product
- Working on a product that has 100,000’s of users and is used by global companies
- Working with the latest tech and solving tough problems (Go, Istio, GCP, Docker, Kubernetes)
- Fully remote working setup (after Covid too)
- Working on products that could not be more relevant in today’s world (Covid-19 / employee wellbeing.
Who are Benefex
Benefex are leading the way for Employee Wellbeing. They believe no one comes to work to do a bad job or be actively disengaged, and that technology is instrumental in providing an excellent employee experience. They’ve built an all-in-one platform called OneHub that brings together employee benefits software, reward and recognition tech, and workplace communications, so your employees have everything they need for work in one place.
Benefex believe that everyone deserves an exceptional experience at work, every day. Their workplace technology makes this happen.
- Backend: REST API’s, Go, Java 8, Spring Boot, Tomcat, MongoAtlas.
- Platform: Google Cloud, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, Circle CI, Istio
You'll be the Senior Backend Engineer within the Home squad. Home is the latest product with v1 being launched March 2021. There are still a number of core functionalities that need to be added to the product as well as enhancements to the existing services.
All new backend services will be built in Go, a small percentage of the work (under 20%) will be enhancing some of the older Java services. You'll work within a close knit squad (PM, 2x BE, 2x FE, QA and Platform) to ensure the backend is fit for purpose.
As a Senior you will mentor the mid Backend Engineer in the squad, as well as take a lead role within the Backend chapter discussing the backend strategy across the entire product suite.
What experience/skills Benefex would like to see:
- Either having experience in:
- Building backend services in Java 8 and Spring Boot and interested in working with Go; or,
- Having experience in building backend services in Go and happy to work on the existing Java services when needed
- Knowledge of distributed system architecture
- Creating REST API’s that the frontend team can build on top of
- Building services for cloud infrastructure (AWS or GCP) and DevOps tooling (Docker, Kubernetes, CI/CD, MongoDB)
With extra points for:
- Mentoring junior team members
- Google Cloud Platform
- Event-driven architecture (CQRS / ES)
The next promotion would be Lead Backend Engineer with opportunity to take on more leadership responsibilities within the Backend Chapter and/or more responsibility across the products/squads. After that it would be working towards Engineering Manager or Principal Engineer.
- Salary: £65,000-75,000
- Fully remote working **NEED TO BE UK RESIDENT**
- Benefits including 25 days holiday (plus your birthday off!)
- £800 annual learning budget for training. Benefex will pay for exams, travel and accommodation for events separately.
- If you ever want to work in the office it’s in the centre of Southampton, a 5 minute walk from the train station and a car park just opposite
- Casual dress code
- Pension, up to 3% contribution match
- Healthcare, income protection, life assurance and access to our own award-winning online benefits scheme
4 stages, completed within 2 weeks. Maximum of 3 candidates in process at one time.
- Phone Interview with VP of Eng (45 min)
- Tech Task (2.5 hours)
- Technical Interview (1 hour)
- Interview with CTO (30 min)