amazon web services
Backend Engineering at Tessian
At Tessian, we're building the world’s first Human Layer Security platform. We’re making a difference by providing automatic, real-time protection against threats such as social engineering, human error, & data exfiltration, for people all around the world.
We're looking for backend engineers to build out our platform, drive our ability to scale, and grow with us as a company. You’ll stop criminal threats and prevent embarrassing mistakes for millions of people. Our high-volume, low-latency backend systems power the whole product.
From deploying data science models in production to integrating with our front end, you'll be involved in projects that span all aspects of the business. Our mission critical product and high volumes of data mean you will have many challenging problems to solve. You’ll be surrounded by incredibly smart, talented and friendly colleagues.
Engineers at Tessian love to learn from each other and pull together as a team to succeed. We all have a say in what we build and how we build it and you will be empowered - and encouraged - to have an opinion. We know that we do our best work and have the most fun as a diverse team that represents our users and the world we live in.
We work hard to develop our incredible Tessians and ensure that the Engineering team is a fantastic place to work for every gender, ethnicity, age, race, sexual orientation and educational background. We also seek diversity of experience: some of our engineers have been building distributed backend systems in Python for years, and some have learned the ins and outs of Python on the job.
Read more about Engineering at Tessian: https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/1670277/Life%20as%20a%20Tessianeer.pdf
Tessian Stack Overflow profile
Safely migrating millions of API requests
Our First Growth Framework
Why Diversity and Inclusion is important to us
As a Tessian Backend Engineer you will
- Design and build reliable distributed systems that handle high volumes of data with low latency
- Maintain and support business-critical systems
- Ship code to production every day using CI/CD
- Tackle the challenges that come with processing highly sensitive data
- Learn to build with security in mind
- Make your mark on ambitious projects
Our backend tech stack includes
- Python 3
- Environments built around Docker and AWS
- High volume PostgreSQL databases
- Concourse for CI/CD
- Terraform built environments
We'd love to meet someone who
- Has 4+ years of Software Engineering experience
- Is a great problem solver who takes pride in their work
- Enjoys collaboration and working with others
- Values getting things done over getting things perfect
- Is comfortable with the unknown and loves to experiment
- Can construct good arguments for methodologies or practices
- Has worked with, or understands the principles behind working with data at scale
- A passionate software developer, either with Python experience or excited to learn it
- Ideally has an interest in machine learning
Why we think you'll love it here ....
For summer 2021, we’re excited to announce what we call "Refreshian Summer" - where every single Tessian will be able to down tools at 1pm every Friday in July & August, and enjoy a long weekend during the sunniest months of the year! I
t’s important to us that all Tessians are part of the journey we’re on, so we offer equity options with every role and benchmark to provide above market rate salaries - there’s plenty more too….
Be at your best, both inside and outside of work
- 25 days of paid holiday (plus 8 bank holidays, and an additional day for every year you've worked at Tessian!)
- Private health insurance provided through Vitality Health and mental health support through our Employee Assistance Program
- Classpass - subsided access to gym time and classes all across London
- Choice First: Do your best work, in the way that works best for you
- Flexible working hours and working from home (if you're not already remote!)
- Work-from-home subsidy upon joining, so you can kit out your home office
- Enhanced pension contributions, matched up to 5%
- We’re family friendly, with policies built to support you in all stages of life
- High-quality tech kit provided for you to work on, plus Tessian ANC headphones
- If you're relocating to join the team, we'll provide a contribution to help with your costs
- Elite membership of the Tessian House System...
- Every other Wednesday we get together to share team updates and drinks -
- Monthly team socials & a big, whole company extravaganza every quarter
- Never-ending ping-pong tournaments
Equality & diversity
Tessian is an equal opportunity employer, committed to equality and diversity amongst both our employees and prospective applicants. The Human Layer we're securing is diverse, and we know we need to be diverse and inclusive to successfully create HLS that reflects this. You can read our equality and diversity statement here.
As part of our commitment to equality and diversity, we're also a corporate member of the WISE Campaign for gender equality in STEM & we're a founding member of the WEDS network driving diversity & inclusion in startups.
Founded in 2013, Tessian is backed by world-class venture capital investors, has hubs in San Francisco, Boston, Austin, and London, and is one of the Top-3 2021 Best Places to Work for Women.