Our core challenge is to understand and model a complex business domain. Our systems must be flexible enough to allow Spotify to innovate while at the same time simple enough to enable us to build solutions that follow best engineering practices and can be easily understood.
We are proud that we have created an environment that allows us to embrace our technical challenges and enable our engineers to experiment, learn and grow. We have fun doing what we do, we celebrate our successes and our failures and view everything as an opportunity to learn and improve.
What you'll do
- Mentor, coach and act as a role model for your fellow team members to help them grow in an informed and playful way.
- Take the lead on design and development of new functionality spanning multiple teams using the latest technology.
- Collaborate closely with your teammates and leads. Be a key player in building a strong team with high quality output and create a culture of innovation and playfulness.
- Operate the infrastructure we have in place with focus on high accuracy, reliability and data scalability, including taking part in our on-call rotation.
- Work closely with our business stakeholders and users during the full development cycle.
- Work in an environment that enables you to grow, in the direction you decide.
- Hack on what you want during regular hack days and annual hack weeks.
- Our systems are covered by financial legislation and you drive improving our automated change management controls.
Who you are
- A great team player. You enjoy working in a team, ask questions and accept the knowledge gap as you join.
- Have a Master's degree in Computer Science or relevant working experience.
- An innovator with ideas from diverse areas, such as system design, devops, distributed computing, etc.
- Have at least 5 years of professional software engineering and programming expertise (Java, Python or Scala etc) Java we use on a day to day basis.
- Have at least 3 years of experience in architecture and design work (patterns, reliability, scalability, quality) of complex systems.
- A great coder with advanced skills in areas such as concurrency, distributed systems, functional principles and performance optimization.
- A T-shaped engineer which means that your key proficiency is the backend stack but you have a drive to understand how data and frontend development work as well.
- Aware of the importance of CI/CD, and a strong advocate of automated quality assurance.
- Skilled in one or several cloud-based backend technologies.
- A proponent of microservice architectures and well-specified data APIs.
- Interested in understanding new complex business domains.
- A strong analytical problem solver and comfortable tackling loosely defined problems.
- Experienced in working with an agile development methodology.
Where you’ll be
- We are a distributed workforce enabling our band members to find a work mode that is best for them!
- Where in the world? For this role, it can be within the EMEA region in which we have a work location
- Prefer an office to work from home instead? Not a problem! We have plenty of options for your working preferences. Find more information about our Work From Anywhere options here.
- Working hours? We operate within the CET time zone for collaboration