Pie Insurance Holdings, Inc.
amazon web services
Senior Backend Engineer
We are an insurtech company where smart people can see the impact of their work as we tackle meaningful problems together. We think it’s fun to disrupt an industry that has been slow to change. But we aren’t shaking things up for the sake of change, we’re here to solve big problems using technology and an innovative approach to improve how small business owners access insurance. Like our small business clients, we are a diverse team of builders, dreamers, and entrepreneurs, so at the heart of every decision we make is the idea that if it doesn’t serve our clients, it doesn’t serve us. We hire passionate people who like to work hard, yet we also know that life exists outside the office. Small businesses are the backbone of the economy; talented team members are the backbone of Pie. We are pie-oneering a whole new approach to insurance.
As a Senior Engineer at Pie Insurance, you’ll be a member of one of the teams within engineering that are responsible for delivering platforms and applications that are transforming the commercial insurance market.
How You’ll Do It
Senior Engineers are innovative, driven by engineering excellence and create code that is a joy for other engineers to maintain and is highly testable. Rapid problem-solving is one of your core competencies. You’ll be collaborating with other world-class engineers to drive automation, leverage our analytics, and create awe-inspiring user experiences. The systems you develop will be large and must be highly resilient. This is a dynamic startup environment; you must love working on a design in the morning and performing root cause analysis on a production issue in the afternoon.
You will be joining our team in downtown Denver, specifically LoDo within walking distance from Union Station. Everything we do is connected: we need you to be a strong communicator and a doer.
The Right Stuff
- 5-8 years of industrial strength engineering development and delivery of large scale systems that had rigorous systemic quality requirements and/or delightful user interfaces
- Have created software design and can make appropriate trade-offs
- Deep understanding of open source frameworks and tools to shorten development efforts
- Have worked extensively in an Agile/SCRUM development methodology
- Have worked in CI/CD Environments
- Be a critical thinker, without over thinking
- Must be adaptable. We are a startup and you need to thrive in a highly dynamic environment.
- If you are a server-side developer you’ll need the following skills:
- Deep knowledge of procedural programming languages such as C# or Java, network protocols, specifically HTTP, and JSON. We are a .NET Core shop.
- Strong knowledge of NoSQL databases, specifically MongoDB, Web Sockets, messaging systems, specifically RabbitMQ.
- Ideally, developed RESTful APIs
- If you are more a user interface developer, you’ll need the following skills:
- API Integration Experience
- Experience creating applications using responsive design
- Competitive Salary
- A piece of the Pie (in the form of stock options)
- Comprehensive health plans
- Take-as-you-need PTO – Salaried
- 3 weeks paid vacation – Hourly
- 7 days of paid sick leave – Hourly
- Commute Allowance
- 401k Match
- Modern office space with onsite gym
- Monthly Happy Hours
- Generous Parental Leave
Our goal is to make all aspects of working with us as easy as Pie! That includes our offer process. When we have identified talent that is a good fit for Pie, we work hard to present an equitable and fair offer. We look at your knowledge, skills and experience that you bring, along with your compensation expectations and align that with our company equity processes to determine our offer ranges.
We value and want to support our team members, and are proud to offer a comprehensive compensation package which includes the following:
Compensation Range for position: $124,000- $180,000
Other Benefits: Each year Pie reviews Company performance and may grant discretionary bonuses to eligible team members.
Pie Insurance is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic.
Pie Insurance participates in the E-Verify program. Please click here, here and here for more information.
Pie Insurance raises an additional $118M in funding
Pie Insurance Named a Top Colorado Company 2020
Pie is rated Excellent by our customers on Trustpilot
Check out our great reviews from current and former employees on Glassdoor
Pie raises an additional $127M in funding