Thorn is a non-profit focused on building technology to defend children from sexual abuse. Working at Thorn allows you to apply your skills, expertise, and passions to directly impact the lives of vulnerable and abused children. Our staff solves dynamic, quickly evolving problems with our network of partners from tech companies, NGOs, and law enforcement agencies. If you can bring clarity to complexity and lightness to heavy issues, you could be an excellent fit for our team.
Last year, we took the stage at TED and shared our audacious goal of eliminating child sexual abuse material from the internet. A key aspect of our work is keeping abreast of the new ways technology is used to sexually exploit and abuse children and building the right technology in response to combat this, as well as building technology to support the broader child safety ecosystem in combating online child sexual abuse.
About the Role:
As a Senior Data Scientist, you will uncover valuable insights, build machine learning models to add intelligence to our existing and future products and technology standards. The work you will do will be a combination of finding quick wins and developing longer-term research. You will collaborate closely with Engineering and Product to identify insights and models most valuable to research and implement. You will be responsible for acquiring data, crafting and performing analytical experiments in a disciplined manner, evaluating and iterating on results, and discussing results with your team. When you and the team conclude that the solution’s performance meets expectations, you will partner with members of the Data Science and Engineering team to deploy your work into a production environment.
What You'll Do:
- Research and develop statistical modeling for data analysis.
- Collaborate with team members to drive understanding of product and technology standards needs and devise possible solutions.
- Discuss results and ideas with key partners, including child victim identification specialists, relevant law enforcement, and technology companies.
- Implement new statistical or other mathematical methodologies as needed for specific models or analysis, prioritizing fairness in design and build
- Work with Data Science and Engineering team members on deploying insights and models and continuous model training and deployment.
- Keep up-to-date with the newest developments in data science and machine learning.
What We're Looking For:
- A commitment to putting the children we serve at the center of everything you do
- You have experience designing, building, and deploying computer vision (traditional and deep learning) applications for production use cases.
- You have a background in data science and statistical analysis.
- You have an ability and interest in learning new technologies quickly.
- You have a passion for machine learning and an aptitude to work in a collaborative environment, can demonstrate empathy and strong advocacy for our users, while balancing the vision and constraints of engineering.
- You communicate clearly, efficiently, and thoughtfully. We’re a highly-distributed team, so written communication is crucial.
Technologies We Use:
You should have at least two years of professional experience with these:
- Tensorflow or PyTorch
You should have non-trivial experience with at least a few of these.
- Scikit Learn
At Thorn, we understand the value of developing a team with different perspectives, educational backgrounds, and life experiences. We prioritize diversity within our team and encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply. Your skills are needed here.