Who is RecycleSmart:
A National B2B managed services firm that provides outsourced management of waste, organics and recycling to a broad range of industries across Canada. We do our part to ensure we make the world a better place! We are a dynamic, fast-paced, fun, collaborative environment where we value innovation while helping our teammates and customers grow. We get recognized for our successes (be sure to look at our company page).
What We Need:
You will be a product-focused full-stack engineer. You’ll join its remote development team and will work on an early-stage IoT product. Must be located in Canada.
RecycleSmart is developing an IoT product that helps garbage and recycling companies reduce carbon emissions and improve recycling performance. We’re looking for a senior engineer to join the Cloud software team. You’ll be responsible for ensuring the RecycleSmart Cloud stays up and running, building new features, and ensuring the Cloud team takes a sane technical approach. We’re a small team so you’ll be working closely with the firmware team, customers, and the product manager to build and ship software.
On the frontend you’ll work on our React SPA, and on the backend you’ll build RESTful APIs in Node/Express/Postgres.
What People say about You:
As a key member of our remote engineering team, you’ll lead the development of many high impact product initiatives. We’re looking for a strong engineer who works well on a small team and is excited about the opportunity to have a direct impact on improving customer experience.
What you will be doing:
- Implement new features + functionality with RecycleSmart’s core product (Pello)
- Develop REST APIs with Node and Express that power the frontend SPA, ingest data from IoT devices, and push firmware updates to our IoT devices
- Write migrations to support changes to our Postgres DB (we also use TimescaleDB to make it easier to work with time series data)
- Be actively involved in product and architecture decisions
- Collaborate with other remote engineers and participate in peer code reviews
- Diagnose and fix bugs
- Ensure the product stays up and running
- Datastores: Postgres, S3
- Infrastructure: AWS: EC2, Elasticache, Cloudfront, Route53, etc
- Misc: Git/Github, Jira
Is this You?
- 6+ years experience building, deploying, and maintaining production web applications
- 3+ years experience using AWS for deployment and hosting (we use EC2 and S3 and will almost certainly expand to other AWS services)
- Experience building complex Single Page Applications
- Experience writing, maintaining, and integrating REST APIs written in Node/Express
- Experience working with and optimizing Postgres for fast query execution times
- Experience leading nimble development initiatives requiring collaboration + coordination with fellow engineers
- Enthusiastic about learning, working within, and architecting high impact products
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Desire to help grow a business with your technical skills
Why join RecycleSmart:
- Competitive Salary
- Extended Medical and Dental Benefits
- GRSP program
- Diverse and Inclusive team focused on supporting internal growth
- Focus on giving back to the community