UK Developer for Bookshop.org
Bookshop is an online bookstore with a mission to financially support local, independent bookstores. As more and more people buy their books online, Bookshop offers an easy, convenient way to order books while supporting local bookstores, keeping more of your dollars in your community and helping maintain bookstores’ role in our culture.
We are a benefit corporation: a corporation dedicated to the common good. Every decision we make is guided by our mission and values, and by our commitment to being a responsive, responsible partner to indie bookstores.
Role Info: Senior Full Stack Ruby Developer UK-based, but remote fine (£60,000 – £75,000)
About us: We are a small, young, mission-based company, founded in the US in January 2020 and launched in the UK in November 2020. We have a team in Brooklyn, a distributed development team and an in-market team in the UK, looking after the UK business.
The Role: We' re looking for a solid full-stack developer to join our talented engineering team. You'll help build features as well as contribute to the development of larger global projects which benefit the platform across countries. As well as building products in Ruby on Rails, you should be able to contribute technical expertise throughout the project life cycle. Everything from breaking down and estimating projects at the start, to making well-reasoned architectural choices, to writing code, testing and deployment. Given the current circumstances, we're a fully remote team based in the UK right now.
- Solid experience as a full-stack developer.
- Has a strong track record using Ruby on Rails to bring products to life.
- Building sophisticated front-end applications.
- Writing thorough automated tests across the whole stack.
- Deploying and maintaining applications with multiple moving parts.
- Ability to debug technical issues and solve problems effectively.
- Agile development methodologies and code reviews.
- Right to work in the UK without restrictions.
Bonus points if:
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform
- Experience with eCommerce
- You have a degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or a related subject.
You would love and thrive in this role if you are:
- A collaborator: the best results come from supporting each other and working closely with our clients.
- An analytical and creative thinker, who enjoys problem-solving.
- Happy to work on projects of all sizes and shapes, from a quick one-page prototype to a longer projects
- Driven by tangible results and learning opportunities: done is better than perfect.
- Always striving to improve your craft and the quality of our work as a team.
What we offer in return:
- Opportunity to work remotely
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Book budget
- Competitive salary depending on relevant experience and working arrangements.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.