The Goal Family of Companies
Job Title: Senior Full Stack Software Engineer (Remote)
Location: San Diego
Ascent Funding is an award-winning private FinTech company that is on a mission to revolutionize how students access, pay for higher education, and succeed in their post-education careers. We are looking for a Principal Software Engineer to join our team in the heart of downtown San Diego, CA (well, virtually during COVID) to lead key application and platform development initiatives that deliver our innovation to the market.
What You Will Be Doing:
The Senior Full Stack Software Engineer ("Engineer") will play an important role in the ongoing development, enhancement, and deployment of our internal loan origination software system, as well as contributing to the planning and development of any new software systems developed by the company. Engineer must have an excellent understanding of LAMP stack technologies, GIT version control, as well as AWS experience. Engineer should also be forward thinking and be able to adapt to an agile development environment.
Engineer should be comfortable interfacing with peers from all departments within the company to gather application requirements. Engineer must be able to interface with program owners and take high level business objectives and translate them into well-defined and architected software solutions.
Additionally, Engineer must possess strong analytical skills with demonstrated problem-solving ability, as well as an understanding of Financial Services concepts. Engineer must also have a proven ability to handle multiple priorities and possess a high level of discipline to work independently, while remaining flexible.
In this role, you will:
- Contribute to the ongoing development of our internal loan origination software system.
- Contribute to the planning and development of any new company software systems.
- Perform requirements analysis and technical design of solutions in collaboration with the marketing team.
- Help maintain our cloud-based architecture, focusing on reliability, security, and scalability.
- Identify code, database, and infrastructure vulnerabilities/bottlenecks, and implement solutions.
- Participate in peer code test and review.
- Guide and mentor junior engineers.
- Occasionally travel to the San Diego office for in-person collaboration.
Desired skills & expertise:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science orÃ¢ÂÂ¯ITÃ¢ÂÂ¯related field.
- Previous experience in the Financial Services industry.
- 7+ years as a LAMP stack developer with full life-cycle product development experience.
- A solid understanding of CS fundamentals (data structures, algorithms, etc.).
- Advanced experience with Object Oriented coding, as well as modern coding principles.
- Extensive knowledge of web development, specifically with PHP/MySQL.
- Extensive knowledge coding with Laravel MVC framework.
- Firm understanding of event-driven and queue-centric design patterns.
- Proficiency utilizing GIT version control in a team environment.
- Proficiency with secure coding principles and design.
- Proficiency with encryption theory and various encryption libraries.
- Experience with relational databases, schema design and optimization.
- Experience connecting with and utilizing 3rd party APIs (REST, SOAP, XML).
- Familiarity with agile development methodologies.
- AWS experience, specifically with EC2, S3, Redis, RDS and CodeDeploy.
- Proven ability to work successfully with limited supervision.
Qualities we look for in our candidates:
- Entrepreneurial drive to succeed and win, sense of urgency, and passion for the work.
- Proven ability to think creatively and drive innovation in the market and within our company.
- Willingness/ability to work late hours when faced with tight deadlines.
- All-around good teammate who is cooperative, approachable, and dedicated to helping others succeed.
Competitive pay with bonus, and comprehensive benefits package that includes, but not limited to:
- 401(k) + Company Match
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Annual HSA contribution of $1,500
- Life insurance, disability, and critical illness
- Birthday Holiday
- Unlimited snacks and drinks (when we are in the office)
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Generous paid leave policies including unlimited PTO
- $2,000 Vacation Incentive Plan after 3 years + $1,000 Sabbatical day
- Community, Wellness funds and more
Learn more about our benefits by viewing our 2021 Employee Benefits Guide.
The Job Description is intended to be a general representation of the responsibilities and requirements of the job. However, the description may not be all-inclusive, and responsibilities and requirements are subject to change.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants without regard to unlawful considerations of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, sensory, physical, or mental disability, marital status, veteran or military status, genetic information, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, job assignment, compensation, promotion, benefits, training, discipline, and termination. Reasonable accommodation is available for qualified individuals with disabilities, upon request.