amazon web services
Cleanhub harnesses the power of tech to address one of the world's most pressing issues: ocean plastic. We are on a mission to cut ocean bound plastic in half by 2030
Our platform enables a large scale collection of plastic waste in coastal regions. Within global partnerships we execute and verify the recovery of ocean-bound plastic on behalf of sustainable brands.
As our first Senior Backend Engineer, you will be joining Cleanhub at a critical and exciting time. In our first year of operation we financed the collection of 250’000kg (equivalent to 18 million soda bottles) of ocean-bound plastic - now it’s time to scale the impact.
We’re looking for an experienced Backend Engineer to help us shape the data structures and APIs which will enable the traceability of ocean-bound plastic. The Cleanhub API defines the interfaces for registering and managing the flow of ocean-bound plastic, from the collection center, to the segregation facility and the co-processing facility. The primary consumer of the API is the Cleanhub App, our progressive web app used by all the hub projects, enabling them to provide the proof-of-work of their operations.
In this role you will work closely with the CTO, the product management, but you will also interact with the hub partners team to always have the complete picture required to define the Cleanhub APIs.
What you'll be doing:
- Be a key part of the entire development lifecycle from requirements to deployment and running the APIs and services in production
- Effectively deliver stories and tasks for the Cleanhub API
- Develop integrations with external services / APIs
- Work closely with the product management to improve the solutions
- Provide help with front-end tasks, when needed
- Improve the robustness and reliability of the codebase
- Help to refine & to extend our architecture
- Contribute your own ideas in our agile development process
- Production deployments & support the operations of the production systems
Skills and experience we're looking for:
- Comfortable building end to end services using Java and Spring / Spring Boot (or similar frameworks)
- Excellent knowledge of relational databases and domain modelling
- You have significant experience creating RESTful APIs
- Good understanding of microservices architectural patterns, design patterns & production troubleshooting methods
- Experience with one of the modern front-end frameworks (React, Angular, Vue.js) is a plus.
- You're focused, driven and know how to get the projects across the finish line.
- Work independently and take responsibility and ownership of your work
- Passion for clean and beautiful code with an eye for simplicity and pragmatism
- You're empathetic, humble and love to help your teammates.
- Working proficiency and communication skills in verbal and written English
Join our impact-driven team to build software that can yet save our oceans.
Why join us?
- The chance to leave a mark and personally impact an early-stage startup: you will work directly with the founders on a disruptive product in a market set for exponential growth
- As the first full-time Senior Backend Engineer you have the chance to contribute to shaping the architecture of the Cleanhub ecosystem
- Opportunities to learn and experiment are part of the job.
- We encourage ownership and open communication so that everybody feels engaged in the dynamic of the group
- We will provide you with a professional developer setup, including a Macbook Pro and an energy efficient screen
- Work from where you want, remote first set up. If you miss the office, we just moved to the brand new AI Campus in Berlin, where you can connect to other startups or stimulate your brain by being at the heart of (software) innovation.
- Competitive salary: €70-85,000 plus equity.
We are an equal-opportunity employer and value broad diversity. We consider all applications equally. We will not react to outreach from design or recruiting agencies, freelance is not an option.