Thorn is a non-profit focused on building technology to defend children from sexual abuse. Working at Thorn allows you to apply your skills, expertise, and passions to directly impact the lives of vulnerable and abused children. Our staff solves dynamic, quickly evolving problems with our network of partners from tech companies, NGOs, and law enforcement agencies. If you can bring clarity to complexity and lightness to heavy issues, you could be an excellent fit for our team.
In 2019, we took the stage at TED and shared our audacious goal of eliminating child sexual abuse material from the internet.
About the Role:
Thorn’s Senior Policy Manager will play a key role within Thorn’s policy team to expand our US and international government outreach efforts. Our goal is to ensure that policymakers understand how technology can both facilitate and combat child sexual exploitation on the internet, and trust Thorn’s efforts to build the technological tools and guide the global strategy to eliminate it. You will develop a deep technical understanding of the cutting edge tools we build and the dynamic political landscape that affects our work. In this role, the Senior Policy Manager will expand and strengthen our partnerships with policymakers, officials, and organizations that work in our ecosystem, and identify key policy opportunities to further our mission and achieve our goals. You will help shape critical policy conversations with a wide-ranging set of stakeholders on complex issues that have a direct impact on the children we serve.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead outreach to Congressional and state officials;
- Support policy team engagement with international governments and organizations;
- Track local, state, federal, and global legislation and trends related to Thorn’s work;
- Represent Thorn at government and NGO partner meetings and events;
- Conduct policy research, including outreach to on-the-ground stakeholders;
- Draft memos, bill summaries, hearing recaps, etc.;
- Manage internal policy communications to the Thorn team;
- Identify and execute policy opportunities that further Thorn’s mission.
Skills We’re Seeking:
- Must have 6+ years of Hill, government, campaign, and/or policy experience;
- Proven experience in judiciary, homeland security, technology and/or commerce issue areas;
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills;
- Excellent judgment and awareness in high-stakes, fast-paced environments;
- Ability to establish and strengthen internal and external relationships;
- Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with a remote team;
- Ability to work independently with little guidance;
- Prior knowledge of child exploitation issues is a plus;
- Desire to serve Thorn’s mission.
At Thorn, we understand the value of developing a team with different perspectives, educational backgrounds, and life experiences. We prioritize diversity within our team and encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply. Your skills are needed here.