Mind Foundry is an artificial intelligence company operating at the intersection of research, innovation, and usability to empower teams with AI that is built for humans.
Born at the University of Oxford and founded by world-leading academics Professors Stephen Roberts and Mike Osborne, Mind Foundry develops AI solutions that help organisations in the public and private sectors tackle high-stakes problems, focussing on human outcomes and the long-term impact of AI interventions.
Today, our customers engage with us for everything from detecting fraud costing businesses millions of dollars, to reducing carbon emissions and distributing food fairly; training and empowering teams to make the ethical decisions they care about and help to transform society for the better.
A TEAM OF VISIONARIES
We bring together the world’s best scientists, engineers, design-thinkers and more to tackle the most challenging problems across numerous industries.
We’re an international team from all walks of life, unified in our desire to be innovators, changemakers and helpful stewards of AI as it begins to shape our world for years to come.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are seeking an experienced/senior Research Scientist with expertise in spatio-temporal modelling. You will become a core member of our Applied Machine Learning team where you’ll engage directly with clients, either creating solutions for problems outside of our product sphere, or helping to apply the existing products into their business. You’ll also be part of the development of new and existing features for our main products which have a direct impact on our users.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
Using your experience in spatio-temporal modelling, you will create ML solutions centred around private, secure and trustworthy AI systems across our core verticals, including commercial and governmental initiatives in a variety of fields.
You may be asked to act as lead investigator on projects, i.e. government funded grants or procurement programmes of work.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues across the team (Research Scientists, Research Software Engineers and Software Engineers) to deliver professional-level software prototypes
- Be responsible for ensuring scientific rigour and best practice is maintained throughout the product feature delivery process, from research project to final implementation
- Supervise other team members and interns in their work on research projects where necessary
- Maintain and develop a good working knowledge of state-of-the-art Machine Learning research
- Attend appropriate scientific conferences and events in areas related to our products and services
- Mentoring colleagues in performing research, or learning about Machine Learning or Data Science
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- A doctorate in computer science, applied mathematics, statistics or related field, or an equivalent level of experience in these subjects.
- 3+yrs commercial or equivalent Post Doctoral experience
- Can work with state-of-the-art ML libraries to deliver powerful results quickly (Tensorflow/Pytorch)
- Fluent in a high-level programming language (Python/Java), ideally in a scientific or commercial context.
- Have experience designing and implementing software systems that allow users to make best use of ML models in a clear and intuitive way
- Be a champion of scientific integrity practices in terms of experimental rigour and validation
- Eager to learn and have a collaborative approach
- Comfortable speaking to customers (with support) and understanding what they need, or happy to learn quickly
GREAT IF YOU ALSO HAVE
- Experience handling large datasets, suitable software techniques and hardware requirements
- Knowledge of software development lifecycle and Agile methodologies
- Ability to communicate complex ideas at varying levels of depth according to audience
We’ve been working successfully as a fully remote team during the pandemic and are open to this role being remote (within a +/- 2hrs GMT), part-remote or office based, as well as offering flexible working options. It is likely that many of our staff will choose to remain as remote workers going forward and so we are able to offer a fully inclusive and integrated team to anyone opting for a remote role.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
You'd be joining a talented and fun team of scientists, engineers, storytellers and problem-solvers who are dedicated to innovation, ethical AI, the pursuit of knowledge and making the world a better place. We believe in investing in our people by encouraging career and personal development. We strive to ensure all staff have the tools, time & support they need to shape their own professional development. We want to help you to be the best at what you do and to allow you to grow with the company.
You’ll enjoy a competitive compensation package, an awesome work environment in Summertown (Oxford, UK), if that’s where you choose to work from.