We have successfully developed classified ads portals for millions of users across the world. We operate major platforms with dominant positions in their markets, but our ambition is to go even further in terms of what our technology can do. We believe that in order to remain the best, we need to adopt some improvements, some of which are going to be implemented in Rust. This is why we need you as our first colleague who will jumpstart our Rust software development capabilities.
Our environment is low on processes and meetings with a strong emphasis on best practices and code quality. We have loosely defined teams of people who put a high value on personal autonomy. If this sounds tempting to you and you think you are a good fit, we would love to hear from you!
As our first Rust engineer, you’ll deal with some of the major challenges we face, such as background processing with ambitious requirements in terms of reliability and performance and novel ways of deriving value from classified ads data and our substantial traffic. Think edge computing, high performance code running on end user’s devices and tailored item search experiences.
Skills & Requirements
Experience and Pragmatism
This role is for somebody who has been through several releases and products built from ground up.
Prior Rust experience is necessary because this position is specifically for our first Rust engineer and is also senior level. We don’t have this constraint for the other software development roles, so please check them out if you can’t meet this requirement.
What we expect is:
- University Degree in CS, CE or closely related
- At least 5 years of experience writing code professionally
- At least 2 years of professional experience writing Rust code
- Substantial web knowledge and experience
- A good understanding of all common data structures
- Ability to write complex algorithms
- Ability to design software systems with multiple parts across multiple technologies
- A good understanding of performance optimisation techniques
- Rust, Web
What is it like to work for us?
Here are some ideas we have that might help you figure that out:
- Offering the best and expecting to get the same in return: you choose your hardware to work on, we buy top-of-the-line chairs and standing desks; once the pandemic is over, you'll enjoy working from a great office with quiet working spaces and nice recreation areas
- Autonomy: you will choose the tools you want to use and get to make all the technical decisions as long as they make sense (that's for the Chief Architect to decide)
- Mastery: we will encourage and support you to learn as long as it takes so you can feel proud about your work (the nice side effect of this is having awesome products built by you)
- Low on processes: we rely a lot on personal decisions instead of guiding behavior through processes. No mandatory regular meetings. No standups.
- Salary €3500-€4500*
- Medical subscription (top tier at Regina Maria)
- 26 paid vacation days
- Other small perks some more regular and predictable than others
* Salaries are specified in net amounts (after taxes) paid according to a signed Individual Labour Contract as per the Romanian Labour Code (adica cu carte de munca)
Sector Labs is based in Cluj-Napoca and was founded in 2016 as part of EMPG. With a presence in 18 countries and combined traffic of more than 200m sessions per month, EMPG owns and operates property verticals and classifieds platforms in emerging markets.
Soon after we were founded we managed to build some of the fastest classifieds portals in the world (e.g. bayut.com). Working along with engineering teams in Pakistan, United Arab Emirates, Thailand, Philippines, and Spain we make it our mission to enable and optimize businesses through technology driven by a healthy combination of pragmatism and ambition.