What we do
Practichem, a biotech firm focused on speeding antiviral cures to market, uses a patented protein chromatography platform to reduce time and cost in the race to deliver critical viral therapies.
We believe scientific instruments should be intuitive, like a smart phone app. We’re setting a new standard by creating instruments that scale as services.
Who we are
Practichem is a different kind of company, and we like it that way. We have incredibly high standards, hiring only exceptional people who enjoy pushing to perform at their highest levels every day. Join our team and enjoy an environment that appreciates hard work and achievements.
What we expect
You are an experienced architect and team leader. You appreciate a start-up environment completely free from bureaucracy. You thrive on open discussion. You guide teams to meet goals and deliver exciting software that scientists want to use. You focus on software architecture, design, development, and process. You devote much of your time to writing high quality, production code.
This must excite you. You must be curious and practical. You must be a builder. You will be expected to challenge and be challenged, to create and innovate. Understand Practichem's work style is not for everyone.
What you will do
- Build, lead, and manage an onshore team and contribute technically to projects.
- Determine overall architectural principles, frameworks, and standards.
- Research, evaluate, and determine the technical direction for team and projects.
- Architect, design, and build projects that scale, within deadlines.
- Assess and allocate resources needed to deliver projects.
- Manage software development tools; refactor code; create architectural designs; create user interface designs; and develop algorithms.
- Propose improvements to software development processes, tools, and environment.
- Prepare and present technical information to peers.
- Write high quality, production code.
- Provide subject matter expertise, mentor others, and reach out for help when needed.
- Juggle fast changing priorities, be process minded, and detail driven, and coach your teammates to do the same.
- Devise and establish strategic IT policies and systems.
Preferred experience and skills
- Professional engineer with 10+ years of hands-on, relevant software experience
- Experience balancing a hands-on engineering role while leading a small team
- Technical leadership abilities when scaling teams
- Experience modeling/diagramming architectural components (ERDs)
- Experience with relational databases, defining relational schemas, and writing data migrations
- Methodologies to build software for enterprise customers.
- Mastery of application, data, and infrastructure architecture disciplines.
- Academic background in computer science
- Web technologies such as Java, REST APIs, Websockets, node, and python
- Web frameworks such as Vue (Vue preferred, React is ok)
- Testing infrastructure
- Docker deployment and testing experience highly preferred
- Knowledge of cloud (AWS EB) technologies and development practices
- Demonstrated ability to write efficient, reusable, and testable code, and mentor others to do the same.
- Familiarity with, but not religious adherence to, agile principles
- Start-up environment experience!!!
- Scientific background is a major plus
- Analytical thinker, very organized, and meticulous
What we offer
- Competitive compensation and benefits. We work reasonable hours and rarely get called on nights, weekends, or holidays.
- We support remote work.
- You'll work alongside other accomplished engineers and scientists.
- Choose a Mac or a PC. You can run Windows or a Linux distro.
- Join Practichem and get $500 in cozy cash to set your workspace how you want. Buy a super mouse, a wrist thingy, a special chair, plant, mood ring, or maybe a Maneki-neko?
Make sure you’re having fun at work -- meet new friends, push yourself in new ways, try new things. If you aren’t having fun at some level, you’ll be unhappy. We don’t want that. We want you to work hard, love what you do, and have fun.