Headquarters: Melbourne, Australia
Remote | Contractor Role | Flexible Hours | High Growth Tech Company | Fast-paced Culture | Modern Technologies & Codebase | Leadership Opportunities
Keywords: Docker, Kubernetes, Linux, Python, Shell, Self-hosted, Cloud, DevOps, Orchestration, Deployment
Affinda is a rapidly growing artificial intelligence company HQ’d in Melbourne, with a global presence. Our mission is simple – make AI that is better than humans at extracting insights and data from documents.
We are a world-class team of software developers, data scientists and AI engineers. We build sophisticated AI solutions that leverage the latest advancements in natural language processing and image recognition. We’ve built out the infrastructure to rapidly develop customised AI solutions designed to read, understand and process unstructured data.
Our solutions are trusted by over 500 companies across the world, included in the ASX 100 and Fortune 500.
About the role
One of our products is Draftable, a simple yet sophisticated solution that makes it easy for anyone to review changes to business documents. Our users compare millions of documents each year across our web service, desktop software, and developer API.
You will be the technical lead for the Draftable API product, which is available as a cloud-hosted service or a self-hosted application. As such, you will be directly working on much of our core cloud infrastructure.
We are growing rapidly, so there are plenty of opportunities for career growth. We expect you to take an active role in evolving our engineering culture. Over time, we expect you to be a pivotal member in building containerised products across Affinda / Draftable.
We’ve advertised this role at the senior software engineer level, but we think it can be successfully performed by engineers with varying levels of experience. If you are interested but are concerned you might not be experienced enough, we encourage you to apply – we are looking for great people to join our team.
This role is fully remote.
A range of AUD$80,000 - $140,000 according to experience.
- You are an expert in Docker, with a strong understanding of how Docker interacts with the underlying operating system.
- You know your way around Linux (e.g., writing bash scripts, debugging)
- You are experienced with modern configuration management systems (e.g., Ansible, SaltStack)
- You have an intermediate-level or better understanding of computer networking and core internetworking protocols (TCP/IP, DNS, etc)
- Bonus: You have experience with container orchestration technologies (e.g., Kubernetes)
- Bonus: You have experience working in or contributing to Python codebases
- Bonus: You have experience with DevOps
- Bonus: You have experience with AWS/Azure or other major IaaS
- You are a great communicator. You appreciate the importance of clear communication, especially when working with a remote team.
- You are independent and self-reliant. You are happy working on a task by yourself, but you will take initiative to involve other team members when necessary.
- You are an excellent problem solver. You do this by diving beyond the “what” and understand the “why” and “how”.
Some things you might do in your first few months
- Work with our CTO to plan and prioritise major customer-requested features
- Designing the technical components for an upcoming Draftable product
- Migrate our self-hosted API product from a single to a multi-container approach
- Coordinating a cross-team effort to ensure customer onboarding is smooth and successful
About our culture
We are a small, friendly team of experienced professionals, and trust is at the core of our culture. We are all great at what we do and appreciate the value of working with highly competent peers. Collaboration is key to our success, and our flat structure ensures that we reach decisions quickly. We love to get things done.
Our development process is product-led. We are agile (but not Agile). We like short milestones. We launch things as soon as they’re ready. We like iterating based off user feedback. We do things right the first time, even if it takes a little longer. We don’t have much technical debt. We like good documentation. From time to time, we promise a feature to customer, but we otherwise don’t have many external deadlines.
We understand you have a life outside work, and we will respect your non-working and family time.
Our core collaboration hours are 9am-5pm AEST (GMT+10). You will need to have significant overlap with these hours.
Our services are very stable, and we haven’t had any critical incidents over the last year that required urgent attention from someone in this role.
This is a contractor role (for non-Australia-based applicants)
Affinda is seeking to hire a contractor. Please be aware that this results in additional obligations on you, as a contractor. Obligations may include managing your tax and ensuring you have the appropriate registration to operate as a sole trader or equivalent. We recommend you seek professional advice to understand these obligations prior to applying for this role.
Affinda is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a team that represents a diversity of backgrounds, perspectives, skills and experiences.
How to apply
Please submit your cover letter, CV and answers to questions and we'll be in touch. We look forward to considering your application.