Headquarters: San Francisco, CA, USA
Candidates between US Westcoast and Eastern European timezones (incl LATAM, Africa, etc) strongly preferred.
TL;DR: Fast-growing early-stage startup seeking senior engineers to build products that empower the most ambitious people in the world to build the future. Who are we looking for? Here’s a quick summary. Details below!
About On Deck
Specifically, you will be responsible for:
- Building products that improve the following four buckets:
- 1) Help the fellowship grow
- 2) Help fellows connect
- 3) Help find answers
- 4) Help the fellowship run smoothly.
Additionally you will be
- Establish best-practices for a quickly growing codebase.
- Ship products and MVPs at a fast pace.
- Help to lead, hire, and manage a team of developers.
- Own parts of the product roadmap and its implementation.
- Your job will be to create the best network and education tooling for the founders of new companies and their investors.
Who you are
- A strong full-stack engineer.
- Professional experience building with Node, React, Postgres, GraphQL, and able to establish best practices in mid-to-large sized application codebases.
- Experience building and managing products from 0-1 that scale to thousands of users.
- If you've built products that serve founders/startups as their customer, even better.
- Demonstrates a track record of 3+ years in challenging engineering roles within startups.
- Able to make trade-offs between long-term architecture needs and short-term launches.
- Able to decide what aspects of products need to be perfected and when to cut corners to ship faster.
- You thrive in a fast-paced, often scrappy, sometimes chaotic environment.
Why you might be excited about us
- We’re tackling a big problem that has impact worldwide.
- Participants in our existing Fellowships say great things about us.
- You’ll be able to work remotely and (mostly) set your own schedule.
- You'll have a lot of flexibility in your role ("create your own role")
- You will be able to help define our product going forward.
- You will be able to network with some of the best talent worldwide.
- This might be the ideal jump-pad for people who have ambitions of starting their own company down the road.
- We're backed by a who’s who of the biggest names in the venture investing world, including Village Global, Marc Andreessen, Keith Rabois, Chris Dixon, Balaji Srinivasan, Bloomberg Beta, and so many more. (Read more about our fundraise and 50-year vision here.)
Why You Might *Not* Be Excited About Us
- We're small – everyone wears multiple hats. If you like more established companies, this role isn’t for you.
- We're an early-stage startup. Projects and priorities are likely to shift.
- Everyone on the team is exceptionally mission-driven and works incredibly hard to push towards our lofty ambitions. Most people are not cut out for this kind of startup work.
- On Deck is an unabashedly pro-startup, pro-tech, pro-diversity and pro-global-opportunity organization. If that’s not your thing, this isn’t the place for you.
- You should be comfortable with just a dash of chaos.
- This is not the kind of job where you show up, and we tell you exactly what to do every day. This is the kind of job where we want YOU to tell us what needs to be done to get to the results we agreed on.