This is an exciting opportunity for a software engineer passionate about open source software, Linux, and Web Services at scale. Come build a rewarding, meaningful career working with the best and brightest people in technology at Canonical, a growing international software company.
Canonical's Store team develops and operates the backend services that power the Snap Store and Charmhub.io marketplaces. Our services are built primarily in Python, within a bit of Golang. If you have a passion for clean APIs, have a bias towards shipping and believe that tests are the key to higher velocity and reliability, you'll fit right in.
We have some exciting challenges ahead including continuing to scale our architecture, expand the store backend to handle additional package types, and enhance our on-prem offering.
What youll do
- Collaborate remotely with a globally distributed team.
- Write clean web service APIs to support both CLI and web frontend clients, using Python (and optionally Golang).
- Design and implement new features and enhancements from spec to production and ongoing operations at scale.
- Review code and technical designs produced by other engineers.
- Discuss ideas and collaborate on finding good solutions.
- Work remotely with global travel 2 to 4 weeks for internal and external events.
Who you are
- You love technology and working with a diverse set of talented people.
- You are curious, flexible, articulate, and accountable.
- You value soft skills and are passionate, enterprising, thoughtful, and self-motivated.
- You have a broad technology base but favor backend code and infrastructure.
- You have proficiency developing public-facing APIs and web applications, preferably using Python and/or Golang.
- You know your way around relational and non-relational databases and can effectively design data models that perform well, and tune queries to access them.
- You are comfortable with Ubuntu as a development and deployment platform.
- You have a Bachelors or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree.
Canonical is proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu.