Senior Software Engineer - TypeScript, Node.js
$100-$160,000 plus super
At Octopus Deploy, we’re passionate about solving the problems our customers face so they can focus on what they do best. Our people are our assets and we currently boast a team of 100+ talented individuals (and growing) who help over 150,000 people worldwide to deliver working software to production.
You will be a great fit for this role if:
- You have a firm grasp of the software trade using any language or toolset but preferably TypeScript and Node.js.
- You like working with great tools like the latest versions of TypeScript and Node.js, in the development environment of your choice.
- You are an experienced individual contributor or leader in your current job.
- You are comfortable making good decisions with general concepts like dependency, extensibility, and compatibility; and perhaps you are a specialist in an area of software engineering.
- You enjoy automating things like builds, tests, deployments, infrastructure, and operational tasks.
- You are able to work independently, motivating yourself to do high-quality work on time, communicating with your teammates when you need help or when you are ready for something new.
- You enjoy collaborating with other people to solve problems, challenging each other to discover the best solution for a problem, using a balance of passion, pragmatism, and empathy.
- You are a results-oriented person, someone who is focused on iteratively delivering valuable things to your customers, someone who willingly changes direction based on clear and transparent business information, and someone who helps others do the same.
A typical day might include:
- Working where you work best, perhaps in a home office designed by you, using a device of your choosing, with or without music, in an atmosphere you create for yourself.
- Changing source code hosted in GitHub, most of it in the open, collaborating on a pull-request, then shipping a release to customers around the world via an automated build, test, and delivery pipeline, often within the same day.
- Handling an inbound support ticket from a customer, helping them succeed with Octopus, or offering advice to a customer in our community Slack workspace.
- Pairing with another software engineer or a support engineer to help them reproduce a tricky problem, helping them understand the inner workings of Octopus in the process so they can be more helpful to even more customers over time.
- Pairing with another engineer on a Zoom call to solve a complex technical problem or design a new feature.
- Fixing a bug using an approach like red-green-refactor to prevent customers from experiencing that bug again.
- Improving our documentation to help customers discover solutions for themselves, and learn how to use Octopus for more complicated workflows.
- Writing a blog post about something interesting for other developers, or explaining a new feature of Octopus.
Interested? We'd love to hear from you. Please include a cover letter outlining what you can bring to the role and how Octopus would be a good fit for you.
We are looking for people who live and work in Australia to join our remote-first team. We are currently unable to provide visa sponsorship.