Western Governors University
If you’re passionate about building a better future for individuals, communities, and our country—and you’re committed to working hard to play your part in building that future—consider WGU as the next step in your career.
Driven by a mission to expand access to higher education through online, competency-based degree programs, WGU is also committed to being a great place to work for a diverse workforce of student-focused professionals. The university has pioneered a new way to learn in the 21st century, one that has received praise from academic, industry, government, and media leaders. Whatever your role, working for WGU gives you a part to play in helping students graduate, creating a better tomorrow for themselves and their families.
*Current WGU employees must submit their internal application prior to 8/9/2021 to be considered for this position*
Remote - Senior Software Engineer
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Develop web applications and web services using Java, SOAP, REST, XML, HTTP, and other web technologies.
- Manage multiple tasks and responsibilities in high-pressure environments; excelling at pinpointing and resolving problems in early project stages to avoid cost/time expenses
- Deliver high quality projects on time, through ability to design architecture, write high quality code, and execute effective unit tests
- Optimize performance tuning for high utilization 24x7 access
- Integrate third party products with existing infrastructure
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work equally well in self-managed and team-based Agile projects.
- Work with internal customers to gather business processes and project requirements
- Research, designs, and develops computer software systems, in conjunction with hardware product development applying principles and techniques of computer science, engineering, and mathematical analysis.
- Analyzes software requirements to determine feasibility of design within time and cost constraints.
- Consults with hardware engineers and other engineering staff to evaluate interface between hardware and software, and operational and performance requirements of overall system.
- Formulates and designs software system, using scientific analysis and mathematical models to predict and measure outcome and consequences of design.
- Develops and directs software system testing procedures, programming, and documentation.
- Ensures work area is clean, secure, and well maintained.
- Performs miscellaneous projects as assigned.
- Updates technical skills as required.
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities
- Experience with Web Services development: REST/SOAP/SOA/XML/HTML
- Good understanding of issue troubleshooting and performance tuning
- Commitment to quality through the ability to translate complex technical requirements into functional software using best practices to write high quality code
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working as a tech lead on self - managed and team based Agile projects
Other Technical Experience That Would be a Plus
- Agile/Scrum project development
- DROOLS, JBOSS
- Technical Certification
- Application Integration with legacy systems
- Oracle or other database interface
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field or minimum of 6 years' experience.
- Proven track record in developing web-based applications and web services using Java, SOAP, REST, XML, and other web technologies, including experience interfacing with Oracle databases, and integrating third party products with existing infrastructure
- AWS Certification
- Angular 9 development experience