amazon web services
At AbCellera, we’re solving tough problems and creating innovative solutions from the ground up. Our developers are designing cutting-edge software that revolutionizes how scientists explore antibodies and the scale at which they can do this. It’s life-changing research and you could be a part of it. We’re the first in our field to be providing tools like these, which means you’ll be solving new problems every day. You will be helping us develop unique software products that make us leaders in the tech industry. And, most importantly, your work will contribute to bringing better therapeutics to patients.
We are seeking a Software Developer to join our Portal Team to help create software tools that allow our scientists to accelerate their discoveries. The Portal is a web application used to capture scientific data which is used for machine learning, visualization, and scientific analysis. If you don’t have a biology background - fear not - we’ll get you up to speed. This is a greenfield project so creativity and fresh ideas aren’t just encouraged - they’re required!
How you might spend your days:
- Developing new API endpoints
- Writing front end code for UIs that allow non-technical users to intuitively interact with data
- Coordinating changes to the database schema
- Collaborating with (non-technical) end users to produce a winning design
- Testing what you’ve implemented - ideally with automated tests
Our current tech stack:
- Backend powered by Django (3.1) on Python 3.8
- HTML5 with Vue
- PostgreSQL database
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
- At least 3 years’ experience delivering high quality software
- Comprehensive experience with Python
- A willingness to learn and grow
- Experience with modern web frameworks (Frontend and Backend)
- Experience with relational databases and ORMs
- Proficient with version control (we use git)
- Experience practising good programming hygiene (delivering clean, reusable, documented, and tested code that follows best practices)
- Confidence communicating in English
- A team player with a can-do attitude who’ll ensure everyone’s success
Bonus points if you have:
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- A great personality and a good sense of humour
Perks of the job:
- An attractive compensation and benefits package, including health and lifestyle benefits
- A minimum of 3 weeks’ vacation
- Opportunities for personal and professional development
- And of course, the opportunity to make a real difference, working on challenging problems that matter
The Portal Team’s Values:
- We believe in the principles of the Agile Manifesto, not necessarily in all of its implementations.
- Every decision should be weighed against providing maximum value to our users. If we're not sure how to provide maximum value, we ask.
- We start small and then iterate towards value. This applies both to our software, and our processes.
- No dogma. Every decision is context dependent. There is no one best approach or tool for all scenarios.
The Portal Team’s Culture:
- We work together. We win together. A healthy and committed team will consistently and sustainably outperform any individual contributor.
- We are focused on people. Our colleagues are all held in high esteem. Every interaction needs to reflect that - especially when we have disagreements.
- We are open and forthcoming about our concerns. It's not ok to hold back information; even worse to hold a grudge.
At AbCellera, we’re solving tough problems and creating innovative solutions from the ground up - custom immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning, and laboratory automation. We’re revolutionizing how our scientists explore antibodies and the scale at which they can do so. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
You’ll join a diverse and multidisciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. We’re a growing company with a high-throughput pipeline and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of visionaries and innovators. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to help us get there.
Introduce yourself by heading to our website to submit your application. Remember to refer to Job ID 21266 in your cover letter. We’ll be in touch if you’re selected for an interview.