Kos Media LLC
LOCATION: Remote within the U.S.
Civiqs, the leading online scientific political opinion polling platform and division of Kos Media LLC, is hiring an experienced and results driven Software Development Engineer. You will get to help shape the Civiqs survey application as we expand our development team and build new research products and features. Applicants must be self-motivated, efficient, and capable of delivering results with limited guidance.
Civiqs is an exciting workplace! Every day, Civiqs surveys thousands of people across the United States on politics, culture, and current affairs. The scale and quality of Civiqs' public opinion data, and its online survey panel, is unmatched in the survey industry. As Software Development Engineer, you will ensure that the research platform is operating smoothly and accurately, and that new features are delivered on time and to specifications.
We have an energized team of great people with diverse backgrounds and skill sets. If you're interested in a position that offers more than just a technical challenge, we'd love to hear from you.
- Design, architect, and code high-performing application solutions for Civiqs using industry best practices
- Building a deep understanding of our frontend and backend systems, infrastructure, cloud services, and dev ops automation tools
- Clearly and precisely communicate technical issues with other developers and non-technical stakeholders
- Quickly identify and address bugs, anticipate run time issues involving code changes that may affect extremely large data sets
- Write detailed automated test cases for new features
- Work collaboratively with engineering team to coordinate complex releases often involving multiple systems and large data migrations
- Partner with research team members to ensure that documented requirements meet the team's needs
- Remain current on test, development, and deployment best practices
- Be a team player, share knowledge, and mentor other team members through pairing, feedback, and discussions, etc.
- Bonus for Python, Go, or other similar languages
- Production experience with ReactJS preferred
- Minimum 3+ years experience working on an Agile, Kanban, or similar project management process
- Extensive development experience in a large and complex (Ruby/Rails) codebase
- Working knowledge in systems or operations at OS and basic networking levels
- Ability to write and run raw SQL queries in MySQL or PostgreSQL; knowledge of other data storage a plus
- Experience with containerized application development using Docker is preferred
- Experience measuring performance (instrumenting and analyzing various metrics, performance benchmarking tools, etc.) and security best practices
- Strong track record developing software using automated testing tools
- Awareness of typical programming errors and the unexpected things users do whether accidentally or maliciously
- Ability to analyze and debug extremely complex multi-layered data processes
- Motivated, organized, and self-directed technical leader
- Critical thinker with thirst for knowledge and continuous improvement
- Ability to work autonomously, take ownership, and deliver a quality software experience
- Excellent communication skills and comfortable talking with team members at all levels
- Willingness to become a Civiqs platform expert
SALARY RANGE: $105,000 - $120,000
This position is a 40 hour/week, full-time exempt position and reports to Civiqs' Engineering Manager. Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the United States. The position offers a flexible work environment, the ability to work remotely or from home, competitive salary, excellent benefits including: full medical, dental and vision benefits, optional 401K with a company match, remote worker stipend, a generous vacation package, traumatic grief leave, a professional development stipend, as well as employer-paid maternity/family leave. Our organizational commitment to personal growth and work-life balance reduces churn and encourages a very rewarding long term position.
At Civiqs, we believe that the diversity of ideas, experiences and cultures that our employees contribute to our organization help us be more effective in our work, and we are proud to be an inclusive and equal-opportunity workplace. The atmosphere in our office is energized by the day's news events, and people united by common cause. We're a company that loves learning and supports growth and training for all our employees.
Women, people of color, and LGBTQ individuals strongly encouraged to apply.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.