Kiron Open Higher Education gGmbH
Kiron Open Higher Education is a non-profit organization offering free online learning opportunities to refugees and underserved communities worldwide since 2015. Through the platform, Kiron Campus, students receive access to high-quality higher education and a large online student community. Kiron’s innovative model consists of free, tailor-made study programs by clustering Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) from renowned educational providers and Open Educational Resources (OERs) for academic, professional and personal growth.
Kiron is looking for an experienced and highly motivated Software Engineer who wants to have a world-changing impact. We want you to join our team and work on building apps for the learning and growth of refugees and disadvantaged people. The small size of our organization and the huge size of the challenge in front of us means that you would be an integral part of creating the future of Kiron and of the product development team in general. The role is based in Berlin but we’re accepting applications from anywhere - especially as we expect to be mostly remote for a while. Don’t worry if you don’t have all of the skills or experience listed below, we want to see your application anyway!
- Join one of our product development teams and the Kiron Engineering Community and commit to working with a strong user-focus so that we can build products that help a wide range of refugee students
- Help us improve Kiron Campus – a web application for online learning built with React + GraphQL
- Work on improving our SaaS product, built out of Kiron Campus, that we’re offering to social businesses that want to provide an online learning experience for their own users, particularly relevant after the events of 2020!
- Join us to implement a 1st-class offline and low-network learning experience through our apps, serving an atypical set of user devices and bandwidth problems - This is not your typical Berlin start-up challenge!
- Collaborate with a wildly cross-functional team from engineering, product and design, instructional and educational design
- Mentor and teach other engineers - while learning from them too
- Take ownership and help set direction for the features and services you are building for the Kiron students.
- You share our vision of free and democratic access to education for refugees and disadvantaged communities worldwide
- You have experience working in an agile delivery team
- You are fluent in English
- You are ready and excited to have a big impact on Kiron and its’ students
- The chance to be part of a fun, dynamic, international, interdisciplinary, and highly committed team
- The chance to shape a fast-growing social startup with your initiative and creative input
- A (mostly) bleeding edge tech stack. We’re not dogmatic about technologies but here’s some keywords that indicate the type of technologies we’re using right now. Keywords: React, Flow, Typescript, GraphQL, PWA, TWA, Laravel, PostgreSQL, Kubernetes
- Flexible working hours, 30 vacation days and a generous home office policy
- A dog-friendly and spacious Berlin office with beautiful sunset views (We’re totally remote right now, but we hope to be back again as soon as it is safe, with appropriately flexible Working from Home policies from then on)
Ready to join our mission? Apply now! Include your cover letter, CV and possible starting date in English in a single PDF file by 27th December 2020 to Rohit Kakar.
Diversity is the core of Kiron. With employees from over 25 different nationalities, we embrace and celebrate the diverse background of our employers and the students we serve. We will consider all job applications without regard to gender expression, race, color, ethnic or national origin, religion, sexual/affectional orientation, age, physical character or disability.