Asylum Seeker Advocacy Project
The Asylum Seeker Advocacy Project (ASAP) seeks a full-time Software Engineer to join our nimble, growing organization!
About ASAP: ASAP sees a future where the United States welcomes individuals fleeing violence. We work alongside our members — thousands of asylum seekers — to make this vision a reality. Over the past year, ASAP has grown to become the largest membership organization of asylum seekers in the United States. Today, ASAP has over 150,000 asylum seeker members from 175+ countries and living in all 50 states. Thousands of new members apply to join ASAP each week.
This hire would be the second software engineer on ASAP’s growing team. You would work alongside Software Engineer Ngan Tran and report directly to Co-Executive Director Swapna Reddy. Together, ASAP’s software engineers will build systems and tools that work for 150,000+ asylum seekers. Our ideal software engineer is a versatile worker, thrives in a start-up environment, and is passionate about ASAP’s mission.
Location: Remote workplace, location flexible in the United States.
- Design and build user-oriented software tools to work for 150,000+ asylum-seeking members.
- Prototype applications in several environments and languages.
- Write clean, maintainable, and well-tested code.
- Adopt good software engineering practices and methodologies, particularly Agile.
- Understand ASAP’s technology priorities, effectively collect project requirements, and offer solutions.
- Communicate effectively about technical problems and solutions, including to stakeholders without technical backgrounds.
- Maintain and scale existing applications.
- Rapidly investigate and troubleshoot problems.
- We welcome highly skilled recent graduates as well as individuals with multiple years of full-time professional experience.
- A commitment to putting member accessibility first.
- Experience with backend servers, databases (PostgreSQL/MySQL) and REST APIs.
- Familiarity of best practices around code review, testing, and documentation.
- Experience or interest in building applications involving Twilio, Facebook, Whatsapp, GSuite, and/or CRMs.
- Passion for developing scalable and maintainable software systems.
- Ability to adapt to change and be flexible, balancing multiple projects and deadlines at once.
- Motivation to learn new tools and technologies to complete a project with maximum efficiency.
- Commitment to ASAP’s mission and vision.
- Spanish fluency is a plus, but not required.
Application Process, Salary & Benefits
ASAP is an equal opportunity employer. ASAP strongly encourages asylum seekers, immigrants, Black people, Indigenous people, and people of color (BIPOC), Latinx people, people with disabilities, LGBTQ people, women, first-generation college students/professionals, and all marginalized individuals to apply, and recognizes the unique and valuable skills that such applicants can bring to this work.